Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heim joints

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudjunkie 82, Apr 13, 2004.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What are the pro's and con's of TRE and heim joints. making my crossover steering and cannot deciede which to use...................... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well you can get GM TRE's at almost any auto parts store and they often come with a lifetime warranty. Heims wear out easily, become very noisy and don't have a warranty. I am doing TRE's on my x-over so I might be biased. If it is a street drivin rig use TRE's.
    Just my .02

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

If you get good heims they won't wear out fast. They may be more noisy but I sure can't hear the ones in my tie rod. But the big kicker is that they are stronger. If they wern't stronger than you'd be seeing alot of people using TRE's in their link suspensions...

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Even the best heims will wear fast on a daily driven vehicle.

As far as the link suspensions, most people are going over to a jimmy or johnny joint now instead of heims because they last longer, offer more angularity, and are close to the same strength /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Ya thats great and all but people are still using Heims over a TREs ware stringth is needed and thats the point...I guess if you want to be realy beef you can use a johnny joint on your steering, never seen that ether.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I would not reccomend a poly style joint in the steering. The give that they allow (how ever little it is) will cause certain death wobble. TRE's are a pain to tap and build/weld 1" thick tabs for so they are not reasonable for links. Most steering set ups with heims are done wrong anyway. A heim is designed as a double shear connection where as a TRE is a single shear. So they are really two totally different animals (when used correctly) that found the same use as a angular link in the steering.
    then again this is only my .02