Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heims - which ones are you using, where and where from

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Sep 19, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of places selling heims but unless you can see them in person first, its difficult to tell the quality. I have 4 different styles of heims here ranging from Indian made forged steel to USA chromoly, course thread to fine thread, 1/2" to 3/4". What sizes are you using around your truck and on what, course, standard or fine thread and do you know the manufacturer or retailer where that info could be obtained. Last, what did you pay for them. With my link setup in the near future I'm beginning to itemize each part and look for areas to safely save... in order to spend more elsewhere.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm using the RE S-Felx bearings from Poly Peformance on my truck on the rear 4 link since it is a daily driver as well and heims would wear way to quick.

On the willys I'm using FK 1-1/4" Heims from Poly Performance on the front and rear 4 links.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

QA1's are the best value I've found....

Marv

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm compelled to use those on the links mostly because of the rebuildability and vibration control. How long have you had yours on, any signs of wear yet? Are you using TRE's on your crossover?

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Wow, what a selection. They have the greasables I was looking for as well. This could take some time to go over. Thanks!

6. willyswanter

Haven't had mine on yet. The parts are laying in the living room waiting on a check from the insurance company so I can buy my coils /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And yes I am using the large TRE's on my crossover and tie rod.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm using the RE S-Felx bearings from Poly Peformance on my truck on the rear 4 link since it is a daily driver as well and heims would wear way to quick.

On the willys I'm using FK 1-1/4" Heims from Poly Performance on the front and rear 4 links.

[/ QUOTE ]

so whats the best option if you want a big azz rod end on a rig that will see some highway miles? I'd like something in the 1" area, as far as size goes... but dont want a standard end if being a DD is gonna whoop up on em. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I'm using Johnny Joints from All-Pro on my 4-link.

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

We have always used Aurora ends at the shop, but am trying to get the bossman to use the FK rod ends--i see more value and strength.

10. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to use Heim's on my daily driver, and a couple of buddys of mine said "They are dangerous for on road use" Any thaughts???

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

from what I understand they arent especially dangerous for onroad use... they just wear out faster on-road.

j

12. willyswanter

Nope, not exactly dangerous unless they have a complete failure of some kind. What happens is they end up getting a lot of play between the ball and race and make all kinds of noise and clunks. If you keep driving on it this way it will eventually fail and your axle will go one way while the truck goes the other thus creating a dangerous situation. But if you replace them every 5k miles you should be ok /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

14. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I run the same thing as above.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, what a selection. They have the greasables I was looking for as well. This could take some time to go over. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardon me if I'm wrong about the zerk location, but you don't want the greasable SRE's. Commonly those SRE's equipped with grease zerks put the zerk in the side of the body near the threaded shank. This is where SRE's body classically breaks in half in motorsports use. By drilling the hole there for the zerk they've just built-in the failure location and reduced the load capacity of the SRE to less than half of what it could be. About the only good place for a zerk on an SRE would be in the end of the threaded shank and that would be kind of hard to use most of the time.

If you insist on using an SRE or SB on a street driven vehicle, something I highly recommend against, do three things. Mount it in double shear (as if you needed to be told that anyway), use Seals-it Washers, and check the SRE's EVERY time you drive the vehicle. Race cars, the intended destination of most SRE's, get that level of maintenence if the crew is doing their job. You're your own crew so don't slack off.

If double shear just isn't possible then find some thick fender washers and put them on the outboard side of the ball. They're commonly called "SCCA washers" by most racing parts vendors. The OD should be big enough that they will not fit through the hole in the body. This way unless the SRE's body pulls apart it can not come completely off the ball. If an SRE ever gets to the point that the double shear mounting or those washers are actually needed, fire yourself as a crew member and convert to TRE's.

16. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Dave (PIG) from Poly Performance is where I get everything. Awesome guy to deal with. He has comepetitive prices, the best quality products, is very knowledgeable (he wrote all of the four link articles in Peterson's), and he will talk to you on the phone until you understand everything about a four link and the product he is selling.