Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Heli Coil Question

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Currank5, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I need to fix some stripped out spark plug holes on a motor i'm working on. I've never used heli coils before and i was wondering where to get em and what size i'd need. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Go to a GOOD parts store!....

NAPA or another GOOD parts house will stock them--not sure about Auto-Zone or similar places,they might not..if I knew where you live I could direct you to a place that has them...

You'll need to buy the kit that comes with the special tap and the heli-coils...the tap has different threads than a normal tap,you MUST use it..if you run out of Heli-coils,be sure to buy the same brand--other brands have their own thread,wont go in a hole tapped with a heli-coil tap..

The kits have directions,and they aren't that hard to install...use grease on the tap to help keep metal chips out of the cylinders,it'll catch them and stick to it..blow it out with an air hose before putting the plugs back in too,in case a few sneak by...:crazy:

3. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I'm in Grafton, right outside of worcester.

Thats cool, i didnt know autoparts stores would have those. I'll try Napa but do you know of any other place that might have them as well?

This is for a foreign car (Porsche 924). I dont know if the threads would be different because of this.

Thank you.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nope,same threads..

Most vehicles use 14mm threads for the spark plugs..I had to Heli-Coil a lot of my VW air cooled motors heads,they strip out pretty easy..you might want to keep a few extra Heli-Coil inserts handy,because they often come back out ,stuck to the spark plug when you remove them,and its difficult to remove them without damage from the plug..(highly annoying while doing a tune up on sunday afternoon!)..:doah:

Hmm..Grafton is near Worcester!..I don't know that area too well,so NAPA would be your best bet,unless you know of another large "jobber" parts store...I worked in the Leominster and Fitchburg area for years (my hometown is Fitchburg),at Bill's Auto Parts in Leominster..those places are too far,you most likely can get Heli-Coils closer by,like in Worcester,if your local stores don't carry them..:crazy:

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do yourself a favor and DON'T use a heli coil. I recommend using a time cert. They are a permanent repair and are similiar to a heli coil but they are actually a threaded insert rather than a coil of threads. Also they are offered in a gasket seat or a tapered seat so you need to know what kind of plugs your head uses. They come in a variety of different lengths to accomadate different needs. You can purchase the kit from http://www.timesert.com/