Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hella 500 wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fireinthehole, Dec 7, 2002.

Anyone who has installed a Hella light kit, I need some guidance. Where did you wire the blue (power)wire? And the green wire from the switch? The instruction say where, but i'm not sure on my Sub.
    BTW, this is a driving light kit working with the high beams.
    Thanks

1. Ok, how did anyone with drive/fog lights (any type) hook theirs up? Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

i have the driving lights on mine, i didnt wire them throught the existing light switch. they're set up through a seperate switch i mounted on the dash. i didnt like the fact that they would only work if the high beams were on. its been a while since i put them on. i'd have to chase down the wiring if you still need help.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

are you using the relay that came with the kit? if so are you planning on having a switch too? or just running them off of the lights? when i did mine i did it under the terms of "I hate extra wire". i used the relay, and ran a 12 volt constant power wire from my distribution block in the console (i added it for a place to get easy acess to 12v) to the relay, so there is only one wire going out to the relay. this way my lights can be on when ever i want them. i also run 100 watt bulbs in those and never use the factory high beams.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Thanks for the replies. Yes I am using the relay and switch that came with the kit. I want to be able to turn them on when I want as well, not just when the high beams are on. Thats where i'm stumped. The directions the kit came with are kind of lacking. So if you guys have some pics that would be great.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

This schematic from Hella seems pretty straight forward to me...
    Hella Schematic
    If yours hook up like this it should be pretty easy. This print will only allow aux lights when the stock lights are on. If you want the Hellas to be independant, connect the blue wire to a "Batt" connection on your fuse box (for lights at anytime) or an "IGN" connection on your fuse box for lights only if the key is on. The green wire goes to your new lights.

6. Nope, thats different instructions. It does help though. I had them working with temporary connections, just to make sure it worked. It did and after making permanant connections, they didnt work. So now I need to go back through it. Its to cold to mess around outside long with no cover from the weather.
    Thanks

7. Re: Hella 500 wiring- Update

I ahve it all wired up, and was working, but now its burning fuses. What would cause this? I tapped the cig-lighter wire for power. Any suggestions?

8. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Re: Hella 500 wiring- Update

I don't think the wiring to the lighter can handle the amps the lights are pulling, it would be better if you could take the power directly from the battery.