Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hella 500's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **b**, Mar 9, 2000.

1. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Hella 500\'s

i think this will be the choice...
    ill be doing the standard bumper mount
    i have seen them for $85.00

anything i should know
    before i start / saturday???

2. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Re: Hella 500\'s

Also iam looking for some
    options on the install of the
    toggle switch. in dash...

3. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Pretty simple install...I did mine on a Saturday afternoon.....I have a 86 K5 and put the toggle switch right next to the ashtray on the metal part of the dashboard....that was the easiest place to drill a hole...

4. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Which kind of set up are you running Johnny Reb?

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i put my switch on the plastic panel surrounding the steering column. remove the screws, and you will see a square opening in the metal that a switch will fit into. it places it nicely out of the way, but right there close in front. you still have to drill the plastic, but thats 'hella' easy.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

i plan on putting my toggles in that square piece of metal under the steering collumn....would like to have an overhead console for them....but you know...i say planning on because right now i've got about 3 toggles just hanging around....one hanging on the emergency brake pedal, 1 hanging on the e-brake release, and 1 just hanging period...somday they'll be mounted.....maybe

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

7. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Actually I'm running the Hella 550 FFs. They are rectangular and have amber lenses. I mounted them on my front bumper on either side of my push bar. Got a good deal on mine from some guy on Ebay. Brand new, in the box for $60. I think the only difference between the 550s and the 500s is that the 500s are circular. My guess is that the electrical connections are the same. Mine came with a relay that was supposed to be hooked up in line with the headlights. Originally, I had mine hooked up with the headlights meaning that the fog lights would work only when my headlights were on. This hook-up however caused my headlights to dim when my foglights were on. So, I just changed the wiring to make the foglights come on when I turned my parking lights on. Now I have no drain on my headlights and everything works fine. There was plenty of wiring that came with the kit. I just mounted my relay and the fuse on the same side as my battery (passenger side) and ran the wires for the toggle switch through a grommet on the firewall into the cab and drilled a hole in my dash by my ash tray. Whole install took about 3 hours. Hope this helps.

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

overhead

the wife got me one of those overhead shelf things from jc whitney or summit or somewhere. i'd seen them in catalogs and wondered, but never wanted to spring for them.
    its the shiit. the shelf holds all my daily crap, and it has a center console thing kinda like the newer burbs have. the bottom of this console is perfect for switches. i'll try to take a pic today at work with the digital camera.
    for anyone considering this, i say its two thumbs up.
    mine is steel horse, but there's others.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Re: overhead

I've always mounted an additional old style "dimmer switch" on the floor next to the original or whereveryou like. Hook up to the relay and you're done. Gives your left foot something to do!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm