Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hella H4 :::UPDATE:::

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 24, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have the Hella H4 lights? I have a burt out low beam and need to get a new one I want to change both so ones not brighter, So I figured might as well go H4. I was wondering how well yall like it and if the lights from summit will bolt % wire in like a stock. Also is there anyother company that makes these for about the same price and is $40 about the best price yall have seen?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=HLA%2D72207

Well I got the kit from autozone... $40 plus $10 for each bulb I just got the low beams but im goen back for the hi-beams now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the only bad part is the lense/reflector is all plastic but it VERY bright and looks WAY better then the sealed beams... I have the sealed beams still on the hi beams

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Hella H4

I'm running the Bosch H4 Conversion kit on my 84 and I have to admit it's the best $100 I've EVER spent on my truck. The install is a breeze- the lenses simply replace your existing sealed beams and they give off about triple the light.

One caution- if you plan on driving on gravel roads, make sure you buy some sort of protection for the lenses. The lenses are WAY more prone to breakage than your average sealed beam. I used a super thick adhesive clear poly that was stocked for this purpose at the local parts store.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

is that $100 for 2? also why would they be more prone to breakage? just because there not a cheap light and everyone has bad luck?

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Can you elaborate a bit, so basically buy the kit to replace your low beams and they just take the place of the originals? What does the kit invole doing? That would be awesome if its not that big of deal, Id buy them in a heartbeat. Oh where do I get them?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]

Mine are the H4's, only thing i had to do to mine is the hole in the back of the lite bucket (where the wiring goes thru) i had to make a little bigger. But other than that, no special wiring, plugged right in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Re: Hella H4

It probably comes with a relay.
    BTW: Here's one place to get them.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

no relay needed

8. daleearnhardt01

Do you know where I can look up these kits?

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No idea off the top of my head, I got mine off ebay for like $20 or $25 for the complete setup /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. daleearnhardt01

Okay so the kit is not vehicle specific, it corresponds to the diffrent size sealed beams?

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Correct, my kit is actually for a mazda miata, but they have the same size lites........if your doing a search on ebay, try "6024 conversion"

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay so the kit is not vehicle specific, it corresponds to the diffrent size sealed beams?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!

There are two basic parts to each H4 assembly. The lens/reflector and the bulb. With sealed beams you replace the whole thing, even halogen sealed beams. With H4's you only replace the bulb, you keep the lens/reflector. Depending on rear access you may not even have to remove anything but the buld itself.
    I've gotten the best results from the mid priced H4's out of JCW. You have to wait a bit for them, but the price to performance blew away both the several sets of Hellas I have as well as the Bosch set I had. You want the 'E' code lens/reflectors, which the Hella "Vision Plus'" are not.

While you're there, do yourself the favor of rewiring the system to draw power directly from the battery via relays mounted on the core support. That alone makes a large difference in lighting.

13. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Ive had mine for 15 years - ones has been cracked for the last 5 or so and still doesnt leak a drop. For the round headlight guys you can look in a magazine for VWs like HOT VWs and they have some cheap copies - $10 or $12 each if I remember right. Somebody also makes some with a split lense and built in turn signals. I run 80 watt low beam- 100 watt high beams bulbs in mine, but you can get various ones up to 110/135's. They come with 55/60's.

14. daleearnhardt01

Yeah I just realized that since I have the quad setup it aint that easy. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but I know there are other ways to do the conversion or atleast I could do the relay trick. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. Can Can

Yep. Keep in mind that's $100 CDN, not USD. Everything costs a little more North of the border.

They are more prone to breakage because the glass is cut a lot differently than a sealed beam. Keep in mind that I drive on heavily gravelled highways for 6 months of the year. You fellows down south shouldn't have much to worry about unless you travel on gravel roads a lot.

16. Can Can

It's very simple. You take off the chrome trim rings around your headlights and remove your existing sealed beams. Take the Bosch lens and install the H4 bulb. Plug the bulb into the existing plug. Mount the new lens exactly as you would mount a replacement sealed beam headlight. Aim the setup and voila!!! You're good to go.......

BTW, I have the quad setup as well. I just replaced the low beam lenses. The brights on my truck have always put out decent lights- the lows are the ones that sucked. I can almost guarantee that you'll be happy if you only replace the two upper low beams.

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well I went to my local speed shop and all they could do is order me some hella's but I also went to discount/advanced, pepboys, and auto zone. Auto zone has a kit with 2 lights $60 and there made by pilot. Does anyone have a picture of the back of the lense/reflector with the bulb instaled? Also I havent seen ANYthing about code E

18. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

auto zone's only comes with the lens, does not come with plug in bulb. just an fyi. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea... I just noticed that too But also I must have been looking at the wrong price tag because on the Autozone website there listed at $40, so I figure I should be able to pick up a set of H4 bulbs for $40 right? that would make them the same price as the hella's, Does anyone know anything about this brand?