Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

helldorado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Aug 7, 2003.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ran upper Helldarodo in there k5. My local club is planning a trip to moab this fall with Helldorado on the list. Is it possible to leave my sheet metal intacted, I don't mind dents but I don't want to total my ride either

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Forget about it.....

I've seen fullsizes that have come back from that trail......it's NOT pretty.

Most of them became buggies/truggies not long afterwards....that should give you some idea of how extensive the damage can be.

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

It depends, I saw Butch's K5 after he ran upper without using a winch (except the waterfall of course) and it wasn't that bad, a few dents on the drivers side but not bad for that trail. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    You will know right away if you want to run it as soon as you see it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna do it. you'll have to strap in a bunch of places, but it can be done. Sandman did it last year, IIRC

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

All I can say is, you *WILL* get dents. And not the little parking lot dings either... I actually laid mine into a wall and drove through the first shoot sliding on the side of the roll bar hallo, turning into the wall to put the tires back on the ground at the end... Stephen (ORD) had to use a strap off the passenger top of his K5 to an anchor in order to keep him from doing the same thing, which would have trashed his windshield and cab.

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    which would have trashed his windshield and cab

[/ QUOTE ]
    Boy, it's a good thing he saved his windshield frame on that trip /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Yep! Butch and I did it and it was fun as hell.
    As for dents OH YEA you will get some.

8. BadDog

Hehe, yeah, did a lot of good didn't it? He was grumbling about "I need a buggy" after going through with the two truggies. But I had NO idea what he was going to do! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I really didn't know what was about to happen either! Kind of humorous looking back at the last year. My poor K5 went from a nice full body truck with leaves in the rear to a coilover'd pounded truggy in about 8 months.
    It's nice to have run it clean with a full body but there was no way around the winching without losing the glass in my case.

You do have to watch out for the "truggy" affliction. I think what happens is this:
    1: there's no way I can do that, I have to drive this home.
    2: Hm, I can probably still drive it if it's just kind of dented up but it might mess up something important.
    3: Hmm, I have a trailer now, so if it's torn up I can still get home, but then I'd have to fix it.
    4: Hmmm, I have a trailer now and some body damage is fine, so I'm going to do it.
    5: Scraping metal noise
    6: Hmmmm, that was fun but why did I take this sheet metal in there with me anyway?
    7: Hmmmmm, this is even more fun without all that extra body in the way, where are we going next.
    8: Hmmmmmm, that's a pretty fun trail, at night.

You just need to decide where you are in the sheet metal continuum. Then you will know if you should procede.

10. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to give it a try, after all I have been tosing around the truby idea, but with the laws here in Utah it would no longer be street legal and I will miss being able driving to and from the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. BadDog

That's about right. But I think I'm on number 10.
    9) Wow! Now I can see where I'm going and what's around me! And I can work on it standing beside it instead of crawling in.
    10) Cool, bars slide much more easily... And it weighs less, what else can I get rid of...

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Or even better
    11) TJ rolls his blazer and I can practice on a truggy set up prior to having to do it to my own rig /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Also remember if you want it to stay new forever, leave it in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Heres the link for when I went Through. Without a way to keep up of the narrow part, You are looking at some real damage. If you can keep off of it, go for it!

Upper Hell Thread