Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello!! and 1 ton brakes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EricM, Apr 14, 2001.

1. EricM

EricM Registered Member

Hi I've been watching this board for a while now but never had an occasion to post untill now. There is a lot of good advice on here. I could use some help with the following:

Today I just bought an 85 1 ton 4x4 for $1300. I bought it solely for the axles (Dana 60 Corp 14 Ohh yeah!!). I am going to put them in my 72 Jimmy and hopfully run 36" swamper radials in the near future. Anyway what is the best way to adress the braking system. I don't think the 1/2 ton system I have now will work with the big axles. The truck I bought has the hydroboost setup, is this worth swapping in or is there something that would be better? I've heard some bad things about the hydroboost like they always leak ect. but I'd like to hear your opinions.
    Thanks
    Eric M.

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have run HB in quite a few trucks. Its a great system IMO. The only problem I ever had was a broken PS belt. It really blew driving home with no PS or PB with a load of junk in the back.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5 [​IMG]

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

DO run the hydroboost system. It will be better and easier on the bigger brakes. Quite a deal you got there for that 85!!!! Why not go ahead and just sell it to me? What condition is the rest of the truck after you take the axles out??? Let me know, I may unload the rest of the truck off your hands.

4. EricM

EricM Registered Member

Thatk30GuY:
    Yeah I thought I got a good deal the guy wanted $2000 but he needed to get rid of it. The truck has a dump box on it which seems to work good power up and down, the cab and front clip are shot (rust belt) the motor (350) doesn't like to start and runs rough. It did go down the highway at 65 pretty smooth but around town it wants to die. Tranny (400) shifts good transfer case (205) seems to work. I plan to sell it all as rebuildable cores since I don't know much about the truck. Might keep the TC for a doubler though just in case I find a 203 for my SM465 in my truck.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Wow! Congrats on the truck, you paid less for yours than I did for mine. I'm probably going to remove my HB only because I don't feel like futzing around with the brackets to make the large tank pump fit. I also don't relish the idea of having to carry all those spare hoses. Who knows, I may change my mind if I don't find a vacuum booster cheap before I get around to needing it (i.e. truck running).

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.