Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello and have a question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Apr 17, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

First off, I'd like to say hello and introduce myself into the group. I've been readin all the posts and I'm amazed at the mass of K5 owners that have taken residence here. Next, I'd like to ask a question. My truck is dieseling real bad and fairly often now when I shut it off, any ideas to help me out?
    Much Thanks,
    Josh

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

Check the timing, if the timing is too far advanced it could cause dieseling

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

If timing doesn't fix it.How many miles does it have on it.Maybe carbon build up inside engine.This can cause increased comprestion.If the timing is good.Does putting high octane gas help.Maybe try high-octane gas and some sort of booster. Have never done it but once heard you can inject small amounts of atf fluid thru vacumn line and it will get rid of carbon build up.Anybody else ever heard of this.I think they sell oil additives that do the same thing.

4. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I have heard of the ATF trick. Marvel Mystery Oil does the same thing.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

5. CrazeeBush

Not sure, I'll check the timing, but I'm fairly sure it's still right on. It does help when I put 93 octane in, but that gets expensive. As of now I run 89 and it's still doing it. It just doesn't seem right, ya know?

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

How much emissions stuff is on that year.Sometimes if that stuff is not working right it affects performance.

7. CrazeeBush

Okay, it has an ECM that controls spark advance. It has EGR and a solenoid to control it.Not sure of what else, I'd have to actually have a good look at it and see what could possibly be related. It's bugging me to death though.

8. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

That maybe a good place to start.I don't know too much about that stuff.It starts to give me a rash when I see all crap.Might also check the advance springs in the distributer maybe one fell off or something.Pretty long shot there though.

9. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check your idle , sounds like it's to fast . Or the throttle plates aren't closing .

10. CrazeeBush

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out too..... ANy other ideas from anyone?

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You did not mention what year and what engine you have. GM knows it had a problem with the 305 doing the deisel thing, engineers for years have tried to figure it out to no avail.
    My 86 has a 305 and if I run anything less then 89 it will deisel, as long as I run name brand gas like Sunoco or Shell it runs fine. If I run gas from lesser named Clarks it will diesel even with the 92 octane. I have never tried the octane boost stuff, I would imagine there would be mixed reviews here about using the stuff....
    Anyone tried the stuff? Results?

12. CrazeeBush

Really? That's real odd. Nice fact to know anyway. By the way it IS a 305 in an '83 K5 Blazer. Hmmmmm. Anything else I can check? Also, I wanna know if it's bad for the motor to diesel? It makes me cringe everytime it starts... Ugh...