Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello and Help

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by cperalta2, Jan 11, 2005.

1. cperalta2

cperalta2 Registered Member

Hello out there.
    My name is Chris and I'm a 26 year old coastie stationed in New Jersey. I've been reading the site for quite some time now but this is my first post.
    I'm in need of some help. I just purchased an 89' blazer with 156K miles ($2700 :confused:) . I think I've got myself in a jam. The truck runs great but the body is in really bad shape (rust). I can fix the fenders and doors but when I went to open the tailgate, the hinges started to rip off from the body instead of the hinges bending. I just closed it back up before the whole tailgate fell off. I don't even know if this is repairable. What exactly do the hinges hold on to??? Whatever it is...I need a new one. I have access to welding equipment but I don't even know where to start or even if it's worth the effort.
    Any help or advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

I would start by getting yourself a LMC catalog. Every little part you can think of is in there. This "Body Shop" forum is full of ideas for repairs

3. michaeltouche

michaeltouche Registered Member

rebuildable

hey chris, I'm an old coastie myself. although I've been out for over 20yrs.
    Sounds like you need to replace the Tail Pan, it crosses underneath the length of the tail gate, hinges bolt to this as well as it being your main horizontal structure. Definately get a LMC catlogue, just go to the links section where there is a link. Catalogue is free... as you can see from the pic, Im in the middle of the same project...
    Good Luck

4. cperalta2

cperalta2 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip fellas. That picture really leped. And I just ordered the LMC catalog.

Thanks again.