Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello and Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cperalta2, Jan 11, 2005.

1. cperalta2

cperalta2 Registered Member

Hello out there.
    My name is Chris and I'm a 26 year old coastie stationed in New Jersey. I've been reading the site for quite some time now but this is my first post.
    I'm in need of some help. I just purchased an 89' blazer with 156K miles ($2700 :confused: ) . I think I've got myself in a jam. The truck runs great but the body is in really bad shape (rust). I can fix the fenders and doors but when I went to open the tailgate, the hinges started to rip off from the body instead of the hinges bending. I just closed it back up before the whole tailgate fell off. I don't even know if this is repairable. What exactly do the hinges hold on to??? Whatever it is...I need a new one. I have access to welding equipment but I don't even know where to start or even if it's worth the effort.
    Any help or advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

did you read this?

http://coloradok5.com/floorremoval.shtml

i only had a blazer for a few weeks and a sub is different (but gets equily rusty mine is bad too)

but its mostly mounted to the floor. read up on this artical and it will give you a good idea of what you have to do.

but you dont have to do the entier floor.:waytogo:

3. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

4. cperalta2

Thanks for the help, those articles gave me a good idea of what I'm dealing with.

5. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Something else you could think about is locating a southern rust free body pb in or around some of the dry states. Like SoCal, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas. Just locate a body, have it shipped or pick it up. Coat it with something to prevent rust and find some free time to swap bodies. Then just junk the old body. Hope that you figure something out that works either way.

Remington

6. k51989

k51989 Registered Member

dam that sounds kinda expensive.

7. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

chris, where are you stationed? shark river, manasquan, sandy hook? i live in belmar, so if you ever need help or need to use any equipment, let me know.

tom

8. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Try this guy, he's in PA (York area) and has some blazer bodies
    http://www.flmv.net/ talk to Jeff
    George

9. cperalta2

Thanks alot fellas, I'm leaning more towards repairing the body than replacing the whole thing. I'll just take my time and work one section at a time. I'll start with the tailpan though. Thanks again.

10. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

You'll need to replace the rear tailpan and probably the floor while you are at it. JC Whitney and LMC truck sell all the body parts you'll need to fix the truck.

I replaceced the tailpan on one of mine...royal PIA. I made sure the next one I bought was a rust-free southern truck:)