Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello Burb Folks!........How about a '69-'72 as a Tow Rig??

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Greg72, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hello Burb Folks!........How about a \'69-\'72 as a Tow Rig??

I've been mulling over my options on a tow rig for my '72 K5. At first I was thinking about some kind of dually, or maybe a diesel....but maybe that's just overkill. If I'm ever going to wheel in Moab again (AND I WILL!)....a tow rig of some kind is going to have to be a part of my future. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Then it occurred to me just how COOL it would be to tow a 1st Gen Blazer behind a Suburban of the same vintage!!! From what I know about towing (not a lot!) it comes down to having a long wheelbase, and having enough torque in the motor to pull the load....oh, and HD springs.

I've seen a few '69-'72 Suburbans around.....some seem to have a factory 400 in them (big block or small block?)....I've even seen a few with 454s. It sure seems like these could be made to work if all I'm going to tow is a 5000+ Lbs K5 and trailer......

Any ideas or comments? I wouldn't mind hearing about any "leads" on Suburbans of that era for sale either......

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Re: Hello Burb Folks!........How about a \'69-\'72 as a Tow Rig??

the 400 is a smallblock engine, although dropping a big block in is about as simple as... well, ripping the old engine out, and sliding the new one in, just like on any other chevy truck. another piece of good news for you: the suburban line of that era stretches from 1967 to 1972, not 69 to 72 like the blazers. a lot of suburbans from that era came as either 2 door, or 3 door, and I'm not sure as to wether or not they had a 4 door model.

as for leads, generaly the AZ SUV trader has 8 to 25 from that era at any given time listed, and like most AZ vehicles, are uisually rust free.

-Rich

3. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Man that would be sweet. I say go for it.

Jon

4. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

as for leads, generaly the AZ SUV trader has 8 to 25 from that era at any given time listed, and like most AZ vehicles, are uisually rust free.

-Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

The only reason I was focusing on the '69 and up 'Burbans was because I like the look of the grilles on those models the best.

Any chance the AZ Traders are online? I've been doing searches on e-Bay and CollectorTraderOnline to find them, but I agree that finding an AZ-based vehicle would really help me find a rust-free example!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Here is a couple in Oregon I just found /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sport Utilities, Wagons (4x4s & 4x2s)
    70 CHEVY Suburban, 4wd, new eng, new trans, new paint, tow pkg. $2900/obo, 503-267-0511

Sport Utilities, Wagons (4x4s & 4x2s)
    72 CHEVY SUBURBAN, great for hunters, 2WD, tow pkg, $2895/offer. 503-992-2205

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Well, considering I have a '71 Burb, I can give you some good info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As stated, the Burbs span from 67-72. Big blocks were only available in 2wds and your choice was the 396/402 or the 396/402 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. TH400 was the standard BB auto tranny, although you could get the TH400 behind the small blocks as well. The 4wds got either the 307 or 350 for V8's with the TH350 for an auto.

There is a common misconception that these trucks came with "400's". The fender emblems on 402BB trucks said 400, possibly to throw insurance companies off....thinking it was the small block. The biggest small block you could get was the 350.

All 67-72 Burbs were 3 doors, no 2 or 4. (I get the "why did you weld that door shut" question all the time.) For rear doors, you could get barn doors(my favorite) or the clamshell style tailgate.

As far as towing, there were lots of heavy duty towing equipment available. And of course, the aftermarket is loaded with towing goodies. I tow with mine occsionally, it works quite well with the long wheel base.

Just like the Blazers, the first year for front disk brakes was 1971.

If you have any other Burb Q's just ask /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

8. Greg72

MuddyTazz,

There's an interesting looking one in Colorado:

1969, 3/4-Ton, 4x4, 454, 4-speed, tow package, etc.

Could be cool.....

BTW -> I saw that ambulance one on e-Bay (I saw all the e-Bay listings actually) and it was quite interesting!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. Greg72

Ben,

Good info...! I'm always hesitant when I hear people talk about a "400"....could they really mean 402, or are they talking 400 smallblock??? I always assume they mean smallblock so I don't get dissappointed... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So what are the big rust areas to watch out for? On the 1st Gen K5's its all about footwells, rocker boxes and windshield frames. I've read a few things so far that seem to indicate rockers are commonly bad, maybe upper raingutter areas too?

Are there "complete" carpet kits for Suburbans (ACC or wherever), or will they always have that wooden floor in the rearmost area? Also, are the old 'burbans notoriously hard to find original parts for (interior trim, body mouldings, etc?) The idea would be to keep it really clean and original, but if the replacement parts are going to be impossible to find, that plan might not work out!

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

It is kinda funny with the 402BB trucks, the fender badge says 400 but the option list will say 402....strange.

As far as rust, they rust in alot of the same areas as Blazers, except for the windshield frame, obviously no removeable top and rocker boxes. Floors, rockers, wheel wells, and rear quarters are the most common rust spots(ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

As far as carpets, Brothers, LMC, GMC Pauls, all carry complete sets. All burbs had the plywood rear floors. There is some trim available, but I would say it depends on what you are looking for. The Burbs have their own unique doors, seats, and basically everything from the front doors back.

Rust repair sheetmetal is starting to become available, IIRC rear quarters are supposed to be out this summer from one supplier. www.67-72chevytrucks.com is full of info on these trucks.

I have always thought it would be way cool to use a Burb as tow rig for a toy of the same generation. Although my Burb is my toy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Greg72

So what's the deal with the Tailgate vs. Barn Door choice???

Can a Tailgate be converted to barn doors, or is the rear structural part of the chassis completely different between the two????

It seems like the barn doors might be a bit more convenient for day-to-day useability....for carrying LONG stuff in the back, maybe the fold-down tailgate would be better......?

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know in the 73 + models you have to change out the rear floor support crossmember, not to sure on the 72 - models.

13. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know in the 73 + models you have to change out the rear floor support crossmember, not to sure on the 72 - models.

[/ QUOTE ]actually, from 73-82, you could just slap either the barn doors, or tailgate on as you wanted, they came with both sets of door slots/holes drilled and tapped. not sure on the pre 72 models tho...

I'll check the autotrader online with some AZ zipcodes, and get you some links real quick.

-Rich

Edit: since autotrader.com won't let me research worthwhile vehicles (pre 83), I suppose I'll go snag a trader from the store...

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    actually, from 73-82, you could just slap either the barn doors, or tailgate on as you wanted, they came with both sets of door slots/holes drilled and tapped

[/ QUOTE ]
    that part is correct, but if you look on the barn doors models(ones that CAME with barn doors)the bottom floor crossmember is where the bottom of the barn doors latch, on a tailgate version burb, that lower crossmember piece is different, it doesn't have the recess for the latch hooks.

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The deal with the 400 engines goes like this. In 1970-1972 when both 400 small blocks and 402 big blocks were referred to as "400"s, the small block was only avaialbe with a 2 barrel carb, thus was called a 400-2 barrel. The 402s only came with a 4 barrel carbs and were referred to as 400-4 barrel. 400 small blocks only appeared in GM trucks from 1975-1980. All 400 small blocks from 1970-1972 were 4 bolt main blocks. After '72 they were all 2 bolt mains. 400 small blocks were discontinued in cars in 1974.

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

With the 67-72 Burbs, it is easier to put barn doors on a tailgate model, then vice versa. Factory barn door Burbs don't have the recess for the lower tailgate hinges. You would need to work some body work voodoo magic, but it could be done.

I guess I prefer the barn doors because that is what I have, although sometimes a tailgate would be nice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: since autotrader.com won't let me research worthwhile vehicles (pre 83), I suppose I'll go snag a trader from the store...

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

I think that's what differentiates the AutoTrader ('83 and newer) from the CollectorCarTrader......('82 and older)???

Not that I agree that anything up to '83 is "collectible"....but I think that's how they split their listings.

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Dude! Greg Maybe I was too pickey but I looked for a Sub. same vintage for about 8 months or more. Then I wanted to try this
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/55784148/62165059odXQZf
    Until I finally settled on my current new ride. Good luck in finding one, you are closer to the "rust free zone" I want to see what luck you have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Blazen91 is selling a '79 Sub with a 454 right now. Go to www.socalbigdawgs.com then the forums and then the for sale section.

20. mirage

mirage Registered Member

To search for the pre-83 stuff go to traderonline.com and click on the collector car trader :-) all the good stuff there.