Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hello from a new guy (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by folkenheath, Nov 12, 2004.

1. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say hi to everyone. I have been reading this forum off and on for over a year now. Now that fall is here I am looking forward to more wheeling and I started reading more often again. I used a lot of opinions on here from what I read when I built my truck. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info now that I have finally signed up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: hello from a new guy

Welcome aboard /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Now let's hear about the truck /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Welcome to the club. If you ever come over to NE Illinois we can go out to our local mud-hole.

4. folkenheath

Thanks, wow, these are quick responses!

Here's some info on the truck, did it all myself of course!

83 K10
    Stock 350 SBC
    D44/14bFF Detriot Locker in the 14B
    TH400/NP205
    6" TC EZ Ride Springs Front, ORD HD shackles
    4" ORD Shackle Flip, 2" TC springs rear
    36x14.5 Super Swamper TSL Radials
    Extreme Alloy 1069 wheels
    all ORD greasable bolts
    4 wheel disc w/ braided brake lines
    ORD crossover steering set-up

I think I covered everything, a little explaination.

I bought the truck in Texas, since I am from Illinois I say thanks every time I work on the thing, it is rust free.

The engine is a stock 350 right now, but I already have a 4 bolt main 454 block I am going to build a 489 with next year. I figured I wouldn't spend money on the 350 and just gave it a tune up, I'm saving money for the 489! I swapped in a TH400/NP205 when I put the lift in, so it's ready for it.

I put a D44/14BFF in it while I was doing the lift. I sandblasted, painted, and then reassembled the axles with new seals and put a detroit locker in the back with a disc brake conversion. The front D44 is stock for now. I did add ORD crossover steering. Later on I plan to add chrome moly shafts and a some sort of limited slip or locker or something, haven't decided yet, I might go selectable. For now it is still working.(probably because of the stock 350 w/ the open diff)

Driveshafts from Tom Woods, 1350 CV in the rear, 3R CV in the front.

I'll try to post some pics before this thread becomes worthless /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

WELL-COME!

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the party! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Sounds like you have a pretty stout rig from the spec's you listed. The D44 should hold up fairly well even with the big block since you aren't running huge tires. I ran a BBC with an 8 lug 10 bolt and 40x17 gumbo mudders on 14" wide wheels for a while with no major problems. I've got a much stronger drive train now and much larger tires to compensate for it. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Anyways, it's nice to see a new name added to the list. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. folkenheath

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Forgot to mention something pretty important, I found the axle set w/ stock 4.10 gears, works fine for the kind of wheelin' I do, we don't have a bunch of rocks around here or anything. Mostly, snow, mud, hills is the type of wheelin' I do.

Here are some pics if I get it to work...

The first one is the truck right after I installed all the cool parts, I bought it with that paint though, so I didn't pick the silver bottom...

[​IMG]

here is how it flexed a couple days after the lift install, that was over a year ago. Nothing special by no means.

[​IMG]

here it is stuck...made the mistake of backing down in again after I couldn't climb out the steep exit side, need more power darnit!

[​IMG]

and here it is after a couple hours of wheelin' this is just proof I do get it dirty, nothing to brag about though.

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. folkenheath

[ QUOTE ]
    Welcome to the club. If you ever come over to NE Illinois we can go out to our local mud-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks, I'll keep that in mind! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Welcome to CK5 and nice truck! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Welcome, cool truck!

11. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

great looking rig.
    but i have a question , is the rear axle sitting a little too forward ?. its looks like the tire is off centered with the well.
    exellant looking job on it though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. folkenheath

Thanks everyone!

About the rear wheel centering, I have noticed that a little as well. I think the shackle flip pivoting the springs down moves the axle forward a little bit. I did measure the center of the springs when installing them, and I know they are in correctly. But actually, when the rear suspension cycles up it pivots back and the tire is in the center again when compressed, so I didn't need to trim anything in the back, even for offroad, so I left it that way. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif