Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello, my name is Jenn......Need help with a 86 GMC

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Mar 17, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

This is where my boyfriend spends to much time! ANyway, I have take a likeing to these trucks. I found a 86 K3500 454 big block, 4spd,p/s, p/b, 4" lift, 35" tiers. From what i know this is the kind of truck my b/f and his friends drool over what should I look for? he wants 5600 for it. My b/f is not around now so I was asking you guys here.

Thanks
    Jenn

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Check for rust in the usual spots (bottom of the fenders, under the battery tray, above the rear wheels, front floors)

Mileage?
    does the clutch slip, chatter?
    86 should be a hydro cluch(does it leak anywhere)
    check the color and condition of all the fluids and hit the owner with a low offer,LMAO!!!

and make sure the front is indeed the Holy Grail AKA "Dana 60"

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you going to surprise him and buy one? Sounds like a good choice in trucks if it is in good condition. I wish my wife woke up one day and wanted a 4x4. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

there is only one thing you need to look for on that truck... the Dana 60 front. You can identify it by looking on the lower right corner of the front diff. there will be a marking stating "D60F". Here's a link to the axle identification chart to help you more. axle I.D. page Other than that, make sure the engine runs and there isn't a lot of rust. Everything else is an easy fix /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

That is now done. I cant pull the cash now. I tried thanks guys.

jenn

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is now done. I cant pull the cash now. I tried thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity, how was that truck for smog equipment? Out here in CA, 86 was the last year of carbs on these trucks and the absolute worse for smog. I know guys with 86 GM trucks that haven't been registered in years cause they can't get then to pass smog. It's hard to give an 86 away in CA. I'm wondering if other states had less smog equipment requirements in 86 than CA? If not, I'd say you got lucky letting this one get away!

Eric M.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can get anything to pass, if you throw a cat on it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If it is indeed a 1-ton BUY IT! You can verify it by ID'ing the axles as a Dana 60 in the front and a GM corporate 14-bolt in the rear.

-Check the fluids for cleanliness to indicate good maintenance.

-Check that the eninge doesn't burn excess oil or any coolant by observing the exhaust upon start up and upon HARD acceleration, esp when the engine is under high load (like after a shift).

-Verify that the engine is operating at a normal temperature. Old 454's that have a heating problem can be a real PITA to fix the overheating problem.

-Listen for any knocks from the engine or any whining from the tranny (with the tranny in neutral and the clutch pedal OUT)

-Verfy good oil pressure from the engine (15psi or greater when at operating temp @ Idle)

-Check for runs in cab corners (esp. under carpet) and at body mounts under the cab...

If you find problems with any part of the truck, simply use it as bargaining power to lower the $$$$ and fix it yourself.

Chris

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You want the engine to be cold when you show up to start it....