Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello! New Sub Owner. A few questions if I may

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Blown7point4, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Blown7point4

Blown7point4 Newbie

Hello All. I have outgrown one of my two Jeep Grand Cherokees (family is getting too big), so this past weekend I purchase my first Sub. It is a 96 3/4 ton, with the 7.4 L engine. It also has dual exhaust, headers, and a Whipple Supercharger.

This all has me excited, but the vehicle also has 140,000 km on it (I am from Canada, eh), so say around 84,000 miles. I am hoping the Sub will be good for at least another 100,000 miles or so! Am I too optimistic? Also, does anyone else have a Whipple Supercharger with 84,000 miles or more on it? And is it still working ok? Mine seems to want to keep throwing the belt off.

At any rate, this is my first post. I am happy to have a home somewhere other than the Jeepsunlimited.com forum, as I have done about all I want to do with my Jeeps.

Thanks

Derrick (aka Blown7point4)

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Umm, I have 150k on my vortec 7.4l and it's still puttin along just fine. No whipple on it though, but future plans may involve in when I do an engine rebuild. I had a whipple along time ago in another truck and it burnt up because of an oiling problem... It was a manufactoring defect but has since been fixed. That was on a TBI 5.7l on my old 95 1/2 ton.

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

a 96 with 84K is not that bad!!! (miles that is)...my brother in law has a 86 dually 1ton with a 7.4 with over 300K. The engine was rebuilt at 240K, and has always been driven daily. The truck will still outwork our newer trucks.

His wife has a 99 Suburban 2500 SS 7.4 that rocks! Good luck with your truck, I think you've got yourself a great rig!

Brandy

4. Blown7point4

Blown7point4 Newbie

Right On! Thanks for the info. I am having my Whipple checked out on Monday so I should see how much life it has left.

I can't believe all of the positive feedback I am getting from family and friends about the Sub. How smooth it rides, how great a tow vehicle it is, the added level of protection it will afford my family. Getting happier and happier every day.

D

5. roadhouse66

roadhouse66 Registered Member

D, I'm sorta in the same boat as you, my family just outgrew our Grand Cherokee, so the I just got the wife a '99 Burby, it's only a 1/2ton with a 5.7L. I got tired of looking for a 3/4ton with a 7.4L, so settled for a 1/2ton. I do feel safer with the wife and kids in the Burby, than the ZJ.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah people are seeing the light and realizing that subs are the best vehicles out there!! WWWOOOOOO HHOOOOO!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

come check out the suburban forum we'll help ya there too.

7. Blown7point4

Blown7point4 Newbie

I hear you re the safety. Funny thing is that I used to feel safe in the Jeep. Now it feels like I am driving a tin can compared to the Burb. Good thing it is fast or I would have to buy another Burb! (Could not fit both in my garage anyways /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

D

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had a friend who had a dakota 5.9 R/T with a supercharger and it ate a belt about every week...seems to be a common problem. You might need to fab up a better bracket for it or make a new pulley system. Thats what he had to end up doing