Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello, New to the community

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ThirdGenBlackbird, May 12, 2003.

1. ThirdGenBlackbird

ThirdGenBlackbird Newbie

Hey guys, my name is scott, I live in hawaii, and I just bought a '79 K5 blazer as a summer project. I also drive a '91 firebird that I bought after I graduated from highschool last year.

I've seen this website a couple of times before so I of course came back here once I bought my truck. This is the first truck I have owned, and probably one of the first that I've even driven. (Have never worked on any truck before.) Could some of you veterans please post some links for me to learn as much as possible about gm trucks in general, older blazers, and 4x4's so I won't waste members' time with more useless threads? This thing needs lots of work and I'm eager to start. Thanks for all your time, laters.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

2. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

if you need to know anything like if you have a problem try to search for the subject you want to know more about

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey Scott welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You can learn a lot by doing some searches on these boards....most topics have already been covered, and that type of research will bring you up to speed in a hurry!

Also, just reading posts that "look interesting" will start to educate you more. Don't worry if you don't understand everything people write....slowly the terms and techniques will start to become more familiar and you'll be on your way.

I've been here for about 2 years, and didn't know ANYTHING about trucks when I got here. After spending about 12 hours on this site per day (EVERY DAY! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) I'm pretty confident that I can tackle almost anything on my truck that needs fixing......

4. DieselFreak

DieselFreak Registered Member

Have to say a positive word about this site too..ive learned more reading this for a few months than reading the manual fo about 100 times

also my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is very happy that ive found this site too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

welcome aboard scott. Ditto what peeps said about searches. I also found it incredibly useful when I first started on ck5 to just lurk and read lots of threads. Its amazing how much info you can learn over time that way. As to other sites, you might try..

www.offroad.com
    www.pirate4x4.com

personally Im not a big fan of the pirate guys... but some ck5ers seem to think they are ok.

anyway, welcome to the site, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI'm sure Wes has a job for you if you live in Hawaii.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard, just read alot, and if You have question's, feel free to ask, that's what this Forum is all about. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. ThirdGenBlackbird

ThirdGenBlackbird Newbie

Thanks for the welcome! I'm not online much but in the past, 99% of my online time was spent at thirdgen.org but I think I'll have to ration time there so I can read and learn here. So far, I'm really loving this website guys!

Also, I was really surprised to find the original owner's manual and the rpo codes sticker yesterday in a huge ziplock bag full of receipts going back to the early 80's. (I'd be damn happy to find 1/10 of this stuff for my firebird... the only thing I found in there was TONS of rubbish, match books, and a bunch of various screws and bolts that I'm sure belong somewhere....)

Today is my last day of finals so I'll finally have the time to start going through this truck to get an idea of what I'll be doing to her this summer. I haven't even finished cleaning it out yet. But, I have to say that for only $900 I'm VERY pleased so far... and I personally think she's in great shape.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your time and comments guys! Laters.

P.S. I'll post some pics tomorrow night.

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5! Always glad to have another Firebird guy over here. What motor does your Bird have in it? I used to own a 92 Firebird with a hot 305 TBI in it. Did a lot of work to that thing, sold it to my bro. If ya need anything, let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif