Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello to all, and some questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big'nBadK5, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

First to introduce myself, my name is Charlie Lamberti and i'm from Long Island, Ny. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I have a 1985 K5 Blazer with a 305, 700-r4, 208 and twin 10-bolts with open 3.73 gears. Daily driver for around town stuff and the occasional Islander game. The motor is tired and the tranny is practically a cheese log so it is time to switch some stuff up.
    I just recently accuired a 1980 parts truck with a 454, sm465, np-205, 14-bolt full floater rear and a dana 44 front. The plan for right now is to swap the '80 truck drive train into my K5 and vice versa. I was just wondering what i might run into during the process as far as fittment and what not and was hoping you guys might have some suggestions from your experience. Thanks alot for the help.

Charlie Lamberti
    1985 K5 Blazer
    1969 Pontiac Firebird (fully restored)

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

welcome to the forum !! looks like you are ready for and wanting to tackle this big project, i hope you are mechanically inclined and have experience with older gm trucks such as these, there will be several issues with swapping these drivetrains but it all is bolt in deal minus the driveshafts as youll have to have them modified unless you managed to magically some of correct yokes and lengths somehow.

to go from auto to manual tranny youll need the clutch pedal assembly and related from under the dash and the pedal rods and frame rail mounted z bar bracket and so forth from the 80, youll have to do something about the low tranny floor tunnel pan in the 85 to allow the top mounted style shifter of the 465 tranny in the 80 to fit under the 85 tunnel unless the 85 already has the high tunnel pan due to being 4x4. this is more of an issue in the 72-older trucks actually.

the axles should bolt in, at least the front anyways, are you sure about d44 up front being that its an 80 ? 79 was supposed to be the last year of any chance of a 44 being up front of a chevy and 76-79 could and was either a 10 bolt copr or a dana 44- both were used randomly- or you could swap outer shafts and hubs and such from the 80 axle to the 85 axle, outer parts are supposed to be swappable from 10 bolt to d44 and vice versa-
    and i cant remember if 73-up blazers stayed 40" rear pack centers or went to 42.5", if are 42.5" then the 80 axle will bolt in- with the 80 ubolts and plates of course

454 into a 73-up 4x4 isnt as hard as it is in a 69-72 4x4, theres more firewall clearance after 72 to allow HEI and 454 without clearance issues and plus big block was optionally available in 4x4 trucks starting in '73 so the allowment of 454 swap in 4x4 is already built-in as of that year and forward /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

there will be alot more info posted, this is just a small start, others will correct me and/or add to this reply

sounds liek you are gonna have a heavy k5 ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    good luck!

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First to introduce myself, my name is Charlie Lamberti and i'm from Long Island, Ny. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I have a 1985 K5 Blazer with a 305, 700-r4, 208 and twin 10-bolts with open 3.73 gears. Daily driver for around town stuff and the occasional Islander game. The motor is tired and the tranny is practically a cheese log so it is time to switch some stuff up.
    I just recently accuired a 1980 parts truck with a 454, sm465, np-205, 14-bolt full floater rear and a dana 44 front. The plan for right now is to swap the '80 truck drive train into my K5 and vice versa. I was just wondering what i might run into during the process as far as fittment and what not and was hoping you guys might have some suggestions from your experience. Thanks alot for the help.

Charlie Lamberti
    1985 K5 Blazer
    1969 Pontiac Firebird (fully restored)

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy pretty much gave you the lowdown on what to expect. The only thing I want to add is, D44 did come on 80 3/4 ton's so it's possible, and the rear is a bolt on, it's 42.5" same as the 1/2ton.
    Only the 1ton came with 40" spacing on spring pads.
    And the hump is also no problem.
    It's basically only lot of work.
    I know because I did a frame off resto on a 73 blazer so I had to take off every single bolt and piece and put it back together.
    The only thing you will need done is the drive shafts.

4. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

Thanks for all the info. I am sure it is a d44 all of these parts (axles maybe, definatley engine) may have been switched into this truck at some point. it came with the 4-speed and the 205 but it was originaly equipped with a 6-cyl engine. i dont know what that means as far as what it's weight classification would be. i know it's a full floater 14 but i dont know what gears it has in it. i think 4.10's but i dont know and ,dont know how to tell /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif, and i dont know if it a posi-carrier or has the factory posi rear in it.
    So how would i go about identifing the guts of these parts? gear ratios and types etc? thanks again.

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

To tell gear ratio is pull the rear or ft dif cover count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth and multiply
    lets say ring gear is 40 and pinion is 11 40x11=4:10
    To look for gov lock in rear raise the rear of the truck up and spin the wheels if left and right turn same way you have a locker of some sort. If one wheel turns forward and the other turns backwards the diff is open.
    Hope this helps,
    Bo

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    To tell gear ratio is pull the rear or ft dif cover count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth and multiply
    lets say ring gear is 40 and pinion is 11 40x11=4:10
    To look for gov lock in rear raise the rear of the truck up and spin the wheels if left and right turn same way you have a locker of some sort. If one wheel turns forward and the other turns backwards the diff is open.
    Hope this helps,
    Bo

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but correction is needed.
    When you get the number of gears, you DIVIDE the bigger number on the smaller one, example:
    41:11 = 3.73
    41:10 = 4.10
    45:11 = 4.09
    40:13 = 3.08

These are some of the common sizes.

As for the locker option:
    raise rear
    rotate one side and watch the other side:
    if the other side turns the same, it's either a locker or limited slip (auburn, eaton,...)
    If it turns the opposite then after it spins it catches and turns the same way as the other, it's the Gov Loc.
    If it turns the opposite endlessly, then it's open.