Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hello

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Paxx, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hi i've been browsing the forum for a while now and just registered today. I'm planning on building a blazer up and I just wanted to ask you guys a couple quick questions. With 4" of suspension lift, 3" body lift, and cut out fender flares, what is the biggest size of tire I could get away with? And secondly if I had enough flex in my springs would it help in leveling me on sidehills? I would use more than 4" of lift if that would work. I have a lot of sidehills where I live and the last thing I want to do is roll my toy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks in advance

2. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and just to add to this I hope to use 35's to 38's for this.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing will help you level on sidehills, but soft springs will make them worse.

Cut out fender flares will just get smashed...unless all you do is mud. The trails here are full of trees as you know and they aren't friendly to things like mirrors, antennas, flares, or anything else that sticks out.

I run 39.5's on 5" of lift with a fair bit of trimming on my 81 Jimmy and it does quite well.

Rene

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics of your rig that I could see? And do you have a body lift with that?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What kind of axles do you have? If you plan on running 38s you'd better put aside some cash for heavier axles if all you have right now are 10 bolts.

What gears do you have? If you're running 3.42s or less you'll probably have to jump to 3.73s or 4.10s with the bigger tires.

Welcome to CK5, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Can Can

Where in BC are you, BTW? It's good to see yet another Canuck join the team. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. tRustyK5

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

First, I'll say welcome to the best damn website there is.
    Second, I'll say, spend the 25.00 bucks and become a member. The benefits are worth it. The discounts alone on many parts you will need will pay for it!
    I agree, If you are planning on running 38's your gonna need stronger axels. scout out at least a set of 3/4 tons or better yet, 1 tons. Not fond of body lifts, although my truck has one, it was out of need. But my body is welded to frame so it won't fall off! the more lift you have, the more UNstable it will be on sidehills. softer springs are worse.

9. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

well I guess I should let you guys know about the whole story then, lol /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    first I live in penticton,bc in the heart of the okanagan. Alot of people call it the california of canada due to the semi-desert climate, i think /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And here's the truck story. I don't have a blazer yet. I'm selling my car and my truck and purchasing one. I'm planning on pulling the engine and dropping in a cummins diesel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif 14bff and D60 4.56gears, detroit and arb.
    I want to find a wrecked dodge truck so I can pull the engine, fuel lines, tank etc. as well as the nv4500 or nv5600 (haven't decided on which yet, probably whatever I can find easier) and swap them all into the k5.
    I want to run 38's for the clearance but keep my lift to a minimum, due to the sidehills mentioned above. I would like to have decent flex, although the weight of the engine might limit the types of springs I can use. I'm not planning on doing alot of rockcrawling or anything but if I come across the rocks I don't want them to stop me

Oh yeah, and this is my first ever project, so expect TONS of questions /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I will be getting a shop to do most of the major wrenching and doing the rest myself. I don't have much practice so this will be one hell of a way to learn /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I'll be working with approx. 12 grand to start, and as time goes on so will the funding /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh and one last thing, I think I'd have to agree on the best damn website on the web /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    thanks for the welcome too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and damn nice rig rene, looks good. I would have thought you would need alot more than 5" to fit 39's but I guess i was wrong. It would be perfect for what I want to fit under me.

11. Can Can

Penticton, eh? You're in a nice part of the country. I used to take my holidays out your way, usually in Summerland or Osoyoos. I just bought a rec property at Wasa Lake(just north of Cranbrook), so I think it will be a while before I travel that far again. I do have friends in Kamloops and Kelowna, though, so you never know.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you're getting yourself into. Rene will end up being a good source of info for you, but this site is full of guys that will be more than willing to help you out.

I have a pretty stock 84- it's the family vehicle for now. Onew of these days I'll be able to afford something new and the K5 will become my toy. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh and damn nice rig rene, looks good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Without this site it'd still be 3/4 ton and on 35" tires and I'd be thinking my truck was all bad-ass/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. This site is 100% of the reason my truck works as well as it does on the trail. Great tech info here from the guys that didn't follow the rules from the start.

Low lift, flexy and lots of trimming is definitely the hot ticket for function on the trails.

I basically did a low budget version of your planned build. I just swapped in a 6.2 diesel which is hooked to a SM465 and NP205 with one ton diffs (detroit rear, open front...not for long) and 39.5's. I'm really pleased with how it wheels.

We met a couple of guys with two lifted Jeep TJ's on the trail. Nice enough guys and decently built trucks. They left the lake about 15 minutes before us and we met up with them again at the one big obstacle on the trail. It's called the "V-rock" and it can be tricky if you don't pick the right line. The one Jeep had to winch on the way up and it looks like they spent a while getting down too. As I approached the top they decided to watch and snap a few pic's. I let it idle down in first gear low range and let the suspension do it's thing. Kind of fun to watch the jaws drop...then my buddy comes down right behind me in his 89 Blazer, also no problem. His truck is set up very similar but with 36" TSL's.

The K5 is a great base to start a build, and is very capable even in stock form. I'd really like to see your when it's done!

Rene

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

how much do you figure you spent altogether on your rig?

14. tRustyK5

I've had it 7 years now and I've more or less lost track. A lot of stuff has been done a couple times over too. I've never taken it anywhere to have anything done other than an exhaust system 2 years ago. The largest cash outlay was the one ton diff's this past summer...$1800 US plus the applicable tax at the border when I brought them home.

Depending on how much you pay for the base truck 12K should go a long way to a capable rig if the money is spent wisely...and having a plan will save you more than anything else.

Rene