Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hello

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Mudbug, Jan 1, 2001.

1. K5Mudbug

K5Mudbug Registered Member

I just wanted to say hey, I am in the procces of buying a 88 K5 and will have in about 2 weeks, I have a few questions
    -It has a six inch lift and 35s, with stock gear ratios, what ratio is recommended for 35 or 36 inch tires, 4.10 or 4.56, it has 10 bolt axles, and what should the stock ratio be.
    - Would warn locking hubs make any difference in the front?
    - I am interested in a ARB air lock system for front and rear, I need info on it.
    -What is the warn full float rear axle?
    I think that is about it for now. It has new carpet inside and most of it is new or redone, it has leather tahoe seats, a new 350 crate motor, dual exaust with glasspacks, a warn winch bumber with grill guard and XD9000i, and a new brown paint job and has no dents.
    I plan to do what I talked about in the questions combined with 2 55w flood lights, 2 100w spot lights and 2 165 watt spot light on the grill guard along with 2 rear lights and it needs new tires, prob 35 inch Goodyear MTR mudders. If you answer my questions keep in mind I am looking for relatively good MPG, cuz I travel for 3 hours on the weekends comin home from college . I look forward to getting to know all of you.

2000 S-10 ZR2, in process of getting a 88 K5 with a 6 inch lift and 35s

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hello back [​IMG]
    Relatively good gas mileage? [​IMG][​IMG] Sorry [​IMG]
    What do you plan to do with your new baby? If you plan on wheelin it those 10 bolts might not survive the ordeal with 35's.
    A definite yes on the locking hubs, I've heard nothing but bad about the auto hubs.
    Whichever axles you end up with 4.10's or 4.56's are in the right neighborhood.
    With all the lights your planning combined with the winch I would look into a high output alternator and possibly dual batteries.

Again, hello and welcome[​IMG] Enjoy!

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the list. There is a previous post on the list of things to look for when test driving a vehicle, it has a lot of good pointers. You'll really be redefining your definition of "Good MPG" if you're switching from an S-10 to a K5. You'll also need to have a beefed charging system to handle the light but it can be done. Sounds like the truck has some of the goodies I can only wish for.... Good luck on the new truck!!

Smitty

4. K5Mudbug

I am going to be on the road alot, I can live with 12 to 16 MPG.
    And battery wise, I will run another battery. He has a high price on it but is is worth it, the only thing not redone is the axles. It is in as good of shape I ever seen in a 13 year old truck. I am selling the S10 to get this, I have to stand aprt from the crowd and a K5 looks a whole lot better to me. I am stumped on what gear ratio to get , 4.10 or 4.56 , what are you all running (guys with 35s) I will post pics when I get it.

I know 4.10 will do, but I fear 4.56 will have it running to high of a RPM at high speeds, but I know 4.56 will have a lot of power, I am truly stumped.

I figure with the lights i will have 650 or so extra watts in the system, Most prob i wont use the winch much, unless i go muddin on the weekend, and I wont use the light that much, I just like to be well equipped, just incase. So would 2 strong batterys do the job????

2000 S-10 ZR2, in process of getting a 88 K5 with a 6 inch lift and 35s<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by K5Mudbug on 01/01/01 10:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have 3.73's with my 35's, but I also have a SM465 4 speed so I don't worry about burning up my tranny. 4.10's would probably be better for my truck but the 3.73's work.
    In an 88 you would have the 700 R4 if its an auto and with that tranny I would go with the 4.56's, that would put your cruise RPM at just under 2000 RPM at 65 MPH in overdrive.
    Another tip, get a real big tranny cooler.
    12 MPG is probably gonna be closer to reality than 16. These trucks are not very aerodynamic or light weight[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Click here for more info on the FF kit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/fullfloat12bolt.htm>http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/fullfloat12bolt.htm</A>

I hear that it is a great product, but it costs a lot, so you might consider swapping in a 14 bolt FF instead of beefing those 10 bolts.

[​IMG]

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

First of all, I think you can kiss off good mileage with a K-5 and big tires. The stock ratio should be 3.08 or 3.73, both of which will work with 35's. I had 3.08's for abour 3 years and didn't have any troubles thanks to the low first gear in the TH-700's. I have 4.10's and 35's right now and I think it's geared a bit low. I'd skip the Warn Full Floater kit and just get a 14 bolt.

8. K5Mudbug

For now I am going to install warn hubs on the front and change the gear ratio to 4.56. It has a 7004 tranny, would some with 350 and 7004 tran and 35s and 4.1 or 4.56 gears please tell me what kind mileage they get. I found a 12 bolt chevy axle today at a junkyard, it is one some old 70s looking truck. Is there differences in the years the axles was made. I am gonna wait till the 10 bolt in the rear messes up to swap it out. When I do swap I am gonna keep the fron 10, but add a ARB locker, and warn high stregnth axles andd stronger U joints, and for the rear use a junkyard 12 bolt but put all new parts in it, like ARB and warn full floater kit with 30 spline axles (is a 12 bolt a 6 lug ??? or is that up too what type of axle is used, the warn kit appears to show 6???) My original Idea was just to upgrade the rear 10 bolt with a full float with 30 spline axles, Would the spline count make any difference. i am still very confused and anxious to get started.

2000 S-10 ZR2, in process of getting a 88 K5 with a 6 inch lift and 35s

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.intercotire.com/calculators.htm>http://www.intercotire.com/calculators.htm</A>
    This has tons of tire and gear info, should help ya out [​IMG]

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

welcome to the "family" . All your questions will be answered on this post and good luck finding your new "to you" K5.
    I too own a 98 S-10 Zr2 pickup... how do you like your 2000? I'm considering trading my S-10 in on a 1999 Chevy Silverado extended cab.. it's 2 wheel drive.. But I plan on still lifting it.
    Also.. I noticed in the new 4 wheel and off-road mag.. BDS Suspension makes a 5 inch lift kit for the Zr2's... Finally the little zr's are becoming more popular.. I might have to hold onto mine... :)
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

11. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Holy Crap! It is about time someone else from MS is on this board. Welcome aboard!

As for your question about gears...i would go with 4.56 ratio. I run 35" and 4.56 gears and 700r4 and i do alot of highway travel and i get around 14 MPG.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/>http://k5junkie.coloradok5.com/</A>