Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! 10bolt vs. 12bolt drums

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, Mar 26, 2002.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I found in the archives several mentions that they are the same, however, I'm looking at mine and noticing at least an external difference. My 10 bolt drums have a outside depth of like 3.5 inches and the drums on the 12 bolt and about an inch deeper. I haven't had a chance to measure the inside surface area but should I assume I can't use my freshly turned 10bolt drums???
    Thanks in advance.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

10 bolt and 12 bolt drums are the same outside diameter but there were 2 different width drums used. Assuming you match up the width of the drums then you could interchange one for the other. As far as what the outside looks like, well that is only cosmetic.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can use your 10 bolt brakes on your 12 bolt. They share the same bolt pattern where they bolt to the axle.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, back plates are interchangable between 10 and 12 bolt diffs.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am using my old 10 bolt drums on my 12 bolt brakes and they are exactly the same width inside and work with no problems.

6. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Well being that my 12 bolt drums are deeper (wider), should I use those? Problem is I'd have to buy new ones 'cos they're toast.
    If I use the 10 bolt drums, wouldn't the axle stick out too far 'cos technically the lug bolts are farther out on the 12 bolt drums?