Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!! 14 bolt hubs to rotors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TK5, Apr 8, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Here's the deal. I'm putting the rotors on the hubs, pressing the wheel studs into the combination. My problem is with the wheel studs pressed all the way down, the rotor wiggles, not much of a wiggle, but enough it is recognizable. The is no slack up and down, just grabbing the rotor with 2 hands and twisting back and forth. Any help??? Do I need to worry? I guess if I don't need to worry I wouldn't be asking.

The rotors and wheel studs are new. The rotors are '76 3/4 ton.

2. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

There is a bolt and locking sleeve with a center pin that goes though the spindle. I am guessing you are doing the front. All you have to do is tighten that nut down. It is behind your hubs.

You may need a special socket you can borrow from Autozone to get to it.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I know what your problem is. Where the stud presses through the rotor there is a machined area about 1" or so in diameter that is recessed slightly and I will bet the head of the wheel stud is too large to sit in the recess properly. If you find this to be the problem then you will need to machine the head of the studs so that they will fit into the recess in the rotor and then the studs will seat completely against the rotor like they should.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

When i did the disk brake conversion on my 14ff i got all new wheel studs to press the rotors to the hubs.
    Like 4X4HIGH said the rotor has a recessed area 1" in diameter.
    The heads of the wheel studs were 1.25" in diameter, so they wouldn't fully seat.
    A lot of guys were having this same problem.
    Some of the guys just used a bench grinder and a steady hand, i spent 15 mintues and chucked each one in a lathe and took off .25" and made the heads a little smaller than 1.00" so they'd fully seat into the rotor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

When you press the studs through the drums and into the hubs the knurl on the stud should locate them together, if not then your studs or your drum might be worn. If you move them in and out you could open the holes up on the drum and on the hubs, but it might be a simple as needing new studs…
    It should be a tight fit on the hub…

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I understand what every one is saying. All of the studs are fitting into the recess areas perfectly. The rotors and and wheel studs are brand spanking new. At first I thought it was because I only put four of the new studs in (Just test fitting) and then put all of them in. still there is wiggle from side to side not up and down.