Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! 15" or 16" rims on 14BFF?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87superblaze, Nov 29, 2001.

1. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

HELP! 15\" or 16\" rims on 14BFF?

I recently converted to the 1 ton club. I now need 8 lug wheels but the previous tires are 15". I really don't want to spend $1500 to but new 16" tires and rims. Can i use 15" rims on an 8 lug 14bolt FF(rear) and 8 lug D44(front). I heard You could do this with different backspacing. HELP! I will spend the money if 16" or 16.5" rims are better.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: HELP! 15\" or 16\" rims on 14BFF?

I have 15x10 with 4 1/8" backspacing on my 14ff and Dana 60. It will be easier on the front caliper grinding to go with 3 1/2" backspacing. There is no mods needed on the 14ff to fit them.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You do not need to worry about the 14FF rear fitting the 15" rims at all.
    You need to worry about the front axles instead. [​IMG] They will require grinding on the calipers and possibly the backing plates depending on how much backspacing is on the wheels.

16" wheels will fit any 3/4 and 1 ton axles, both front and rear, without any modifications. They came from the factory with 16" rims but can't remember what year this was started.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Do you have 13" rear durms or 15" ? I'm in the same boat as the outer diameter of my 14b drums is 15". I've been told that a 4 1/4 backspacidng on a steelie rim will fit the larger drums but frankly I can't independently verify that yet. Most of the custom rim manufacturers say that an aluminum or mag rim wont fit unless you up to a 16".

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

dana 44?? that is no 1 ton 15s fit

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

15"? Where did you measure the drum? Unless you are running a wheel with 6" backspacing or more a 15" steel wheel will fit a 14ff.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I just noticed that too. The 14ff might be a 1 ton but the Dana 44 is not. 15" will fit on the 44 with minor grinding.

8. 87superblaze

Re: HELP! 15

yeah that's correct! You have a good eye. The D44 is from a 3/4 ton. I want to run aluminum 15x10 rims. Do you think there will be a problem with that (besides minor grinding)?

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I measured from the backside of the drum from top to bottom of it at 15", Since aluminum or mag rims have a 15 diameter and have to support the bead as well as have supporting thickness for the weight, I figure I'll have around 12 1/2 inches on the inner side of the rim clearance. My 14bFF drum tapers from 15" on the backside to 12" or so on the front side of the drum where the lug bolts are. For every inch I move the rim onto the drum I lose a 1/2 inch or so of the outer drum to inner rim space. Every rim manufacterer is going to have different inner side clearance and with mags or aluminum, the balancing weights are taped to the inside where I'm worried about clearance. I think I can get a set of wide steelies on there at 15" but not without changing the centerering of the rim and placing the weight a tad awkward on the bearings unless I go with an 8" wide rim. Aluminum or mag is totally out of the question.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They don't make 15x10 8 lug rims in aluminum...and even if they did I can't imagine how much grinding would be involved.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just went out and measured inside dimension of one of my 15 x 10's. I got 14" inside at the wheel mounting surface.
    I have yet to see a 14 bolt that wouldn't allow a 15" rim to bolt up due to brake drum interference.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you measure from the wheel mating surface of the 14FF axle back towards the center of the diff about 4" (thus representing the typical backspacing of a 15" 8-lug rim) you will notice that the majority of the drum will be outside of the wheel.

I run 15x10 steel rims with 4.25" backspacing on a 1-ton 14FF with the big drums and don't have any clearance problems. There is maybe only about 1/4" clearance between the wheel and drum, but since the drum turns with the wheel all you need is enough room for the wheel to fully seat against the mating surface on the hub.

If anybody wants to go 8-lug and still keep aluminum wheels, then you better go with either 16" or 16.5" wheels. First of all, I think the only 15" 8-lug aluminum wheels would be custom built ones from someplace like Weld. The problem with aluminum is that the wheels have to be thicker than steel for strength, and you have to add the extra thickness on the inside of the wheel since the outside diameter of the wheels still has to fit the 15" tires.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I agree with the 15x10 steelies, but I keep bending my steelies [​IMG]. Maybe I'm a little rough on them! I've been looking for either a really strong 15" steelie or a 16" aluminum, either way, I want a sharp looking polished set this time around. Thanks for posting the clearance on your 14bff with the big drums, every little bit I can gather from everyone running this set up is helping.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

14. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

im tired of seeing this word everywhere, WHAT IS BACKSPACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????????

sorry, i couldnt take the ignorance anymore

phill

15. 87superblaze

Well thanks everyone! It sounds like steel wheels is the way to go if I want to keep my 15" tires. Can anyone recommend me a good steel wheel. Maybe American Racing Equipment? I would like to stay chrome if possible. Thanks again for the great responses. This truely is the best site!

16. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Check with some one like Tyres International http://www.summitracing.com for Wheel Vintiques, Wheels. You can get them in 15" 8 hole in 15x8,10,12, &amp; 14" witdths. They are available in chrome, white, or black.

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by jwduke on 11/30/01 06:49 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jwduke on 11/30/01 06:53 PM.</FONT></P>

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Aluminum is ABSOLUTELY out of the question. Nobody makes the wheels simply because they wouldn't fit, and you couldn't safely make them fit, period.

I'd love to have 15" aluminum wheels too, but knowing what I know now, it's simply impossibe.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<font color=blue>WHOA!!! Don't say "aluminum is ABSOLUTELY out of the question"!!! [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Weld Racing</font color=red> makes the <font color=red>SR-series</font color=red> aluminum wheels in ANY size and backspacing you want. [​IMG]
    Yes, they are available in 15" and ANY width you want, with ANY backspacing you want. Their backspacings start at 2" and go way in to 8" deep.
    The widths of the wheels start at 3.5" and go way out to 23" wide.
    And yes, you can get these wheels in 8 lug, too!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sure these wheels may cost higher, but for anyone wanting ALUMINUM wheels in 15", they need to look at these.
    If someone were to get the 15" wheels with 2" backspacing, there would be very minimal grinding, if any, on the front D60 and 3/4 ton axles.
    So, don't give up hope for aluminum wheels in 15" specs. Just give Weld Racing a call at <font color=red>1-800-676-9353</font color=red> and ask for the <font color=red>SR-2</font color=red> or the <font color=red>SR-28</font color=red> wheels.</font color=blue>

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

19. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

From my research this is what I have found.

Summit told me that they had problems with the Bart wheels going out of round and bending.

Summit (and a few other places) sell Wheel Vintiques(sp?) in white and chrome. I think in 15x10 8lug they are 3.5" backspacing and in 6lug 4" backspacing. I would go with Summit because they don't charge for shipping.

I just ordered some 15x10 8lug Eaton wheels in BLACK (they also have chrome) from National Wheel &amp; Tire. The shipping was around $80 (they are in WV and I'm in CA).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Project Mighty Mouse here.