Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! 2000$ OF BS!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, May 19, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Local car customizing shop wants 1200$ for parts and 750$ for labor to install a 4 inch suspension lift!!!

*expletive*

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Yowza!! I ordered mine from a mag for about 300 and installed it myself.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i wish i could install it myself....

anything else have to be done with a 4 incher? shocks or anything?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do it yourself and save the money they are easy to do and yes you will need new shocks and extended brake lines and you may need to lengthen the drivelines

5. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

thats a lot of cash,, you can probably save 100% of the labor cost if you take it to a local Vo-tec school that has an automotive/suspension course /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lol
    im trying to find someone who can help me put it in
    i can buy it then take it somewhere

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

That's way expensive in both labor and parts for a 4" solid axle lift.......it almost sounds like they are quoting for a newer IFS vehicles.

If you look around you can find a complete top quality 4" lift for around $400 and a competent shop should be able to install it in less than a day.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

local shop told me the samething. $1200 just for a HD Superlift springs, steering arm, shocks, and rear blocks. I laughed at the guy and walked out. No way was I asking install prices. I just went in cause I figured hey why not they can get the stuff in a lot faster than I can get it shipped if its only a few bucks more hwy not? Turns out it was $900 more! I wish I could get the loans and all I would start a 4x4 shop and sell them at an actually reasonable cost and install at a reasonable one too. I wouldn't trust a ricer shop to install a kit either.

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

WHAT!!!!! They offer a reach around with that? Man, it really isn't hard to do. Can be done in an afternoon, a weekend if you run into some stubborn eye bolts (I did). Steering arm is the biggest PITA of the whole thing, and it ain't that hard. Brake lines, steering arm, and shocks along w/ the kit is all you need.

John

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

they are easy conceptually, actually doing it requires some time and sweat! Very few steps involved though, so aside from the frozen bolts and sweat, they are easy if that makes sense. If you do it yourself, make sure you have a back up car/truck to use incase you run into problems.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I just wouldn't trust them to tighten everything right and all especially in the steering department.

12. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Thats outrageous... I paid less than that for my whole truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Ill buy a lift for you and install it for $1200.

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[naughty word] ive given a 4 inch lift, with blocks, away for free before.... I hope you atleast laughed at their asses for giving you such a ridicoulous quote....

Do it yourself, atleast then you know all the bolts are tight.

15. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

Hell if you lived around me I'd offer you, you buy the lift and I'd put it in for you for a case or two of beer and maybe a steak dinner if it turned out to be a real pain!! Do it yourself. I put mine in for a couple of hundred dollars and I did it in my dirt driveway. Good luck to you.

Allan

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

thing is i dont know how

i dont have the tools, the work area, i have a friend with a garage thats too small....lol

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

a set of wrenches 2 jack stands, a jack, a hammer, and a parking lot heh, i think youll need a 15/16ths wrench for the u bolts, then i think a 7/16ths for the drivelines, then like a 3/4 or 11/16ths for the steering arm... etc etc..... are you doing blocks or springs in the rear?

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If your kit is spring/block, another idea is to get a quote from any local shop (like Pep Boys, etc.) on their price for replacing the front leaf springs and shocks. Then do the back yourself, since it is really easy to just add blocks. The only power tool you would need is a sawzall or grinder to remove the old U-bolts.

19. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

id rather have someone else do it...i dont mind paying, if i mess up tho im screwed

4 inch front and rear springs

20. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, but you should still go that route. Installing a lift kit is nothing more than replacement of the leaf springs, shocks and steering arm. Almost any shop can do that work. Few shops can quote you labor for "lift kit installation" since there are so many different kits for different vehicles.

Just ask how much to replace all 4 leaf springs, all 4 shocks and the steering arm if you supply the parts.