Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! 203 TC leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Mar 10, 2006.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I have a 203 case,,,,,its leaking out of the rear shaft seal real bad,,,,its like parked in a slanted driveway,with the front of the truck facing the garadge,,,, (driveway slants down,from garadge to street) hasn been started since i bought it a few days ago, and even still it leaks all by itself :doah: ,,(btw its mated to a th350, but i dont think it matters any)

i was eventually gonna do the 400 205 combo, but i wanted to at least drive it temporarily until i gather the set. Whats involved in fixing the leak? Is it worth it to fix the leak? Do i have to drop the pan?

Also, if a dont have the know how or the tools to fix it,,, how much should i expect to pay a shop to do it?

Thanks in advance all!

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

if it really is the rear shaft seal, you undo the nut on the yoke, yank the yoke off, pull the seal, press the new seal on, put the yoke on, put the nut on. done.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Does this require more than a few Craftsman wrenches?

I dont have any else but some small hand tools man :crazy:

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Probably need a socket for the nut. Its something like 1 1/4" or some where around that.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

When I last did one, the seal was a bugger to pull out using the universal "seal removal" tool.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Why fix it? I find that my '74 leaks lots of places ... I took the top off, that solved the roof leak, but the tranny leaks (some redheaded idiot put it in, didn't do it right :haha: ) and so I just top her off now and again.

If you aren't fully tool-equipped, I'd just leave it until you have the tools and time and the weather is nice. '203's are cheap, anyway ... I have a part-time one sitting out in my yard, should you need one (but they are freaking HEAVY!)

-- A

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

THANKS man!:laugh:

Also, what would a shop charge to fix something like this? If its more than 100 bucks im just gonna let it leak.:D

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I believe the socket is 1 3/16", you can buy a craftsman for not too much money and grind it to fit inside the yoke. You should be able to change the seal for less than $50 parts+tools, takes an hour or two the first time.