Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! 24V Military 6.2L Question!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by YtseJam, Dec 3, 2002.

1. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 Chevy Military 6.2L 24 Volt system. The truck was all apart when I got it and I hooked the batteries up in series. There is a junction block @ the firewall that has 24 Volts. The problem I am having is if I hooked up the wires to the alternator on the right it sparks like it's a short to ground. Does anyone know where the wires go that are 24 volts on the alternator? The one on the driver side has 12 volts at the wires. I'm lost!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't have the pics but I have seen them here about a month ago.
    I know however that in this setup, the alternators are in series as well as the batteries.
    I will try and do a search, and you do the same, it was about dual alternators.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

24 volt CUCV
    Here you go, this will tell you all you need.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

IIRC the postive post goes to the bus bar (24V) on the fire wall. The negative post (red/white) goes thru a fusable link to the Engine wiring block (where the Driver's side Alt + post, and the rear battery - post also connect together).

It's hard to follow but remember the Drivers Alt charges the front battery, the Passengers Alt charges the rear battery. Each altenator is 12V but they're in series, so you end up with 24V on the 2nd (passenger) altenator. Clear as mud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

What does
    IIRC mean? That link isn't working for me. Hmm. This is weird. I have 24volts at the wires at the pass side alt. There is a red, an orange and the 2 spade terminals. one is 12 the other is 24. I'm not sure which goes where on the alternator. When I hooked them up like they looked like they should go, I got a hella spark. If I leave it hooked up, it'll let the smoke out. Like a short to ground. I have no schematics for this truck /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.

6. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

I also have an 86 K30 military truck so if you need pics of it let me know and ill snap em and post em /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

That would be great! I would really appreciate that.

8. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

dieseldan is right, but it is hard to figure out without a diagram or pictures. The link above to roscommon does work but it is a little slow, it has some pictures and instructions to convert to 12 volts. The wire at your alternator that has 24 volts comes from the bus bar and connects to the side of the alternator that would normally put out 12 volts(the one that puts out 12 on the drivers side). The wire that has 12 volts on the passenger side connects to what would normally be the grnd. I scratched my head over this for a while when I got my cucv because it was missing the pass alternator. I ended up converting to 12 volts. BTW - IIRC means if I recall correctly

9. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Email me a list of the pics you need and ill get them for you. txstruck@aol.com /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifHoly crap you are a genius. Thank You for this link. You Rule etc etc etc kiss ass some more thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I only remember seing it in a thread a couple of weeks earlier, and all I did was a SEARCH. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Please guys, when you want info fast, the fastest is a search, try different combination of words and you will find a wealth of info on these threads.
    I have so far asked 3 questions and maybe answered about a thousand and more, and most of my answers came from here.
    I am no genius, just very observant.
    I have had many questions and all except three were asked before in a way or another and I found many answers in one click.
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif