Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! 700R deisl tranny in a 350 TBI!?!?!?!!? HELLLLLP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Feb 13, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

OK, here is the problem:

I have a friend with a SBC 350 in a 1/2 ton Suburban (electronic Q-jet) and its missing a tranny. Another friend of mine has a 700R that was behind a running diesl in a ~84 Chevy.

My friend needs to get his 'burban running before my B-Day (Mar. 1) so will this tranny work long term?! it come complete with converter and TV cable at a VERY good price. Any ideas or suggestions needed, cuz we need to install this tranny THIS SUNDAY!! I have heard the shift points are a bit differnet, but will it make a big differnece?!?!?

HEEEEELP! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

thanks for your immediate comments!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The only difference in the trannys are the govenor. You need to pull out the diesel one, and put a gas one in. If not you will destroy the tranny because it will shift way too early. When I got the tranny in my Burb, GM gave me a diesel one, I tried and tries to set the shift points with the TV cable, but didnt work, and within 1,000 miles I blew it up. The advantage was GM replaced it for free including labor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what did it cost? how hard was it to swap? PM me!!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The governor weights and springs are located under the round cover on the right side of the tranny. It's about 3 inches in diameter. The diesel tranny is setup to upshift at around 2,800 RPM at wide open throttle. This is WAY to early for a 350 to upshift. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The tranny for a 350 application will upshift at around 4,500 RPM at wide open throttle. Just take the weights and springs out of the busted tranny from the gas engine and swap them into the tranny from the diesel engine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif thanks!

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm having a similar problem. I just replaced the 350 with a SB400 in my '89 and it is also shifting way too early now. I've played around with the TV adjustment but can't seem to get it right, is there something I can do with the weights in the tranny to better match the torquey 400?