Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!HELP! 700R4 shift problems!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Dec 20, 2005.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

The 700R4 in my 89 developed some problems last night. As I went around a corner I heard a loud squeal for about a second and then the truck wouldn't move. It's like it was in neutral. I shifted it into 1st and it moved. Upshift to 2nd, it's still going, up shift to 3rd (or drive) and it still goes. If I put it directly into 3rd from park, it won't go. It's like it's in neutral. Haven't trid 4th (overdrive) yet

Fluid level and condition appears fine.

This transmission has been beefed with a heavy duty shift kit, Corvette sprag, extra band in the packs, etc. It's very stout as its behind a 383.

But I'm at a loss on this one. I need ideas because this is my work truck. :confused:

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

There is a domed shaped cover on the driver's side of the trans, it can be removed with a screwdriver. Pop that off and take a look at the govenor gear, it is plastic and sounds like it is stripped.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    If the govenor was stripped it wouldn't shift out of 1st.
    Wouldn't hurt to check it though.
    When mine stripped out I was on the freeway doing 70mph.All of a sudden the the 700r4 slams into 1st.
    This is what happened.
    [​IMG]

4. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

I'll take a look, but what I heard definately wasn't a plastic sound.

I can shift through all the gears manually and it seems to be fine. It just won't shift on its own.:dunno:

5. gauder

gauder Banned

TV cable?

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

shouldn't be the governor gear or the TV cable. a loose TV cable will have a lazy shift, tight would make it not shift, but shifting manually would not work. a governor would not allow you to shift manually either.

the only thing i can think that would make it so you can shift manually but not shift automaticly, would be a broken spring in the valve body. or possibly a bushing spun around one of the valves and isn't allowing fluid to pass.

if thats it, its not a fix that just anybody can do, you have to know what your doing to fix it. time to take it to a tranny shop.