Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP,75 jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drchan, Sep 24, 2002.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i need some help. first of all 75 jimmy and 75 blazer pretty much the same thing. as far as parts go, are jimmy parts harder to come by? second, i guy is trying to sell a 75 jimmy unrestored with very little rust. all stock, no lift, high miles, with no engine modifications. it is a full convertible. he wanted 5k but he said he would take less. what do you guys think it's worth approx. it has no extras, just completely stock. i don't want to screw my self like i did on my 78

2. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Seems high to me, but I'm still kind of a rookie here. Some of the senior members should be able to tell you for sure. For what it's worth, I paid $2800 for my 77 Jimmy and after reading a bunch of threads I think I paid too much. Mine is all stock, 350, th350, part-time np203, D44, 12b, but the engine and tranny had been rebuilt (those were my two main concerns). The paint is crappy but the interior is far from perfect but there were no cracks in the dash or tears in the seats. Very little rust. Hope that helps. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Actually, I think Grim (aka Grim-Reaper) has a 75 Jimmy. You might want to touch base w/ him.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

How is the rust?
    Check under the carpet, near the door pillars. Check the tailgate pan where the tailgate bolts onto the body. Check all corners for rust. Check the frame wehere the steering box is.
    Check the engine as usual.

Check out the tranny.

Check transfer case for easy oepration may only need adjustment if it's a 203.

Check front driveshaft (THESE ARE EXPENSIVE!)

Check hubs for easy operation.

Check door seals, especially the ones in the top, there should be NO rips. FACTORY ones are Still ~$80 EACH!!!

Check tailgate seals both in the top, and on the tailgate itself.

Check the tailgate glass area, center section where the glass pops out. These tend to bend and crack when wheeled.

Check body bushings... when these go, the door and top alignements get messed up = leaks.

Check the Top for cracks, these tend to crack in the rear corneres when wheeled.

I am sure I will think of more later.

I got my '73 for $800! Stock.

It had a little rust at the tailgate. no leaks in the top.

4. drchan

drchan Registered Member

very little rust, i know i can't get it for 800.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It depends on what you want.

Do you want a nice stock '75???
    This might be the truck for you.

Or do you want a full convertible project?
    Pass on it and find another. Even at $4k I think the price is high, unless it is REALLY NICE, or has a FI Big Block.

Oh yeah, if it has the chrome trim around the fenders... ALL the fender wells are rusted. I forgot mine were all bad. I had bad paint. Interior was a little worse for wear, the seats needed to be redone, I got some Honda seats.

Mine had a Good motor, good trans, good transfer, the top was NEVER off. Best of all for me... '73 is no smog in CA.

Good luck.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It would have to be pretty clean for $5k. I mean NO rust everything there and decent running. Not worth it. I paid $3600 for our 79 that was absolutly loaded minimal body problems working A/C . That was 5 years ago. I have seen what I concidered very solid under 100k 74 go for $1300. Paint was shot but no rust issues to speak of other than the paing on the hood. interrior was intact and pretty clean. It was also a rare 465 203 truck.

7. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I bought my 84 silverado with all working equip. perfect body, good interior, and a new trans and transfer case for 3500$ about a year and a half ago. I've put more than 30,000 miles on it this year,and the only major repair I've had to do is rebuild the rear diff. All the other "repairs" were by choice even though I've convinced my wife a shackle flip, front lift, and the stuff for a one ton conversion were absolutely necessary. Anyway, I agree with Grimm. It would have to be a near mint truck to go for 5000. I'd keep looking and find a good solid one for a little less and save the rest of the money for mods or maintenance. There are a lot of sellers out there who try to overdo it on the antique value of the older full convertables.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 75 Blazer and 75 Jimmy use all the same parts, other than the trim and badges. But 5 grand is WAY too much for a stock '75, unless it's in nearly showroom condition. I see 'em for sale here frequently for around $1,200 with a lift, big tires and nice wheels already installed. $5,000 would get you into a later model with fuel injection and all the later goodies without too much looking, at least around here...

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Offer him a fare price. $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 or what you think it's worth. I picked up my 76 Blazer all stock from the original owner for $1,500.00 with only 83,000 miles on it. I got lucky and found one that spent most of it's life sitting in a barn gathering dust. The original owner was a rancher and only used it in the winter when roads were too slick for his 2 wheel drive trucks. Had to clean out hay, and still has a farm smell, but I think I did okay. Look around, you'll find a better deal then $5,000.00

10. drchan

drchan Registered Member

this one is not mint, it has over 200k. i know people here try to over play the whole classic thing but i can't find a cheap full convert. i'm in oklahoma and everyone i see listed is at least 5 grand. and they are not mint. this guy says he was looking around $3700 but know i'm thinking that is way to high. other than ebay where could i look for k5s. i'm not in a real rush. i still have my 78 that i paid way to much for.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do a search for local Rancher/Farmer websites with free classified. I found my 76 Blazer by placing wanted adds on them. For the money you're talking, you could find one in the mid-west (Ia, Ne, Mo, Ar, Il, Co) and get it alot cheaper. Might be cheaper to buy one in one of those states, and have it shipped to you.