Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help 76 K5 Distributor trouble!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kris4real, Feb 12, 2005.

1. kris4real

kris4real Registered Member

Kris' K5 -

My 76 K5 350 WONT START.

I am working through all the issues. Help ME!!!!

Started it all by NOT STARTING - and actually replacing a "shattered" starter. Truck ran for a while with a loud ticking...(Fan shrowd? not sure) one day turns over but won't start.

Checked all the obvious - opened the distributor and it was worn and loose. Replaced with a Mallory Distributor and HEI Coil-in cap iginition. I was very careful removing and replacing it - tried to keep all the wiring and TDC #1 exactly the same - still didn't start. Friends came by to double check me - found the TDC to put the #1 at like the 8 o'clock position instead of to the right of the electronic component. The wiring in order from that point - 8 o'clock is #1, 9 oclock is #8, 10 o'clock is #4, 11 o'clock is #3.... etc.

Is that the right DIRECTION? Is it possible my #1 could be way over there? Is this the 180 degrees off that everyone is talking about?

We opened the valve cover and watched the #1 hit top stroke - we also lined up the zero position.

We checked for gas!

Any advice would be great. One of my K5 die hards said he thinks my rocker arm is worn from excessive southern california overheating and his advice is NEW ENGINE!

thanks. just a girl... kris :p:

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

have you checked for spark? just to make shure? hold a spark plug wire end up near the block and check if you can see a spark while some one cranks it,

do you ge any popping or any noise??

air, fuel, and spark and she "should" turn over;)

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

If you are using the stock intake, the firing order is cast into the top of it. Should be visible, unless its dirty.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

that pink sucks on my eyes.

i had a hei that was worn bad but ran. then got new accel(CRAP) blueprint dist new and accel suppercoil and no fire. dub checked all still no fire. took back and gave me new again. still no fire. took back and got money back. then droped old worn hei in and guess what it FIREDUP no problems go fig. then took advice from racer friend and got msd all the way no problems sence.

make sure you have power to unit when key on and when in crank mode also. this has bitten lots of use at 1 time or other.

5. kris4real

Sorry about the Pink; maybe the arc seal?

Sorry about the Pink. too late to fix it. kris4real.............

So thanks for responding. Here's where we are at.

NEW QUESTION: We are thinking maybe it could be the arc seal in the ignition cap (does the springy thing go up or down?? just kidding).

ANY MORE IDEAS????

A good laugh for you all.... unfortunately, still not starting.

OK.. here goes (I'm such a dork :haha: )

Turns out I put the ignition cap on in the wrong position. the cap snaps on in more than one place .... duuuh.

Here were all the obvious clues that didn't appear obvious until we figured it out... I had to rearrange all the plug wires; the air filter (new edelbrach) didn't fit ("oh, its ok, my friend said, they make risers for it") When we turned it, guess what #1 was pointing at #1, everything fit. we laughed.

OK.... so still no fire. Checked for spark, checked for TDC, yes we have gas. the order is on the manifold (standard) checked the plugs, wires, all new, all ok.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghh. Its a flower box in my front yard.

32474771589.jpg

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just to clarify... #1 CAN be ANYWHERE on the cap.... with valve cover off, spin till the intake valve on #1 goes up and comes down. next time the line on damper comes to zero, thats TDC.. whereever the rotor points is #1... lace clockwise from there...

for the next time you pull a dizzy, the way to get #1 pointing where you want is done when installing the dizzy from TDC...

if you knew all that, my apologies for the repitition.. hope it helps..

7. red77blazer

red77blazer Registered Member

Technician says-

Sounds like your having a good time, its good to put the #1 position in a place that is normal so the next guy who helps you is familiar with it. But- you have to make sure #1 is in a spot where you can turn the distributor sufficiently for timing, get the number one set- if you don't know which way the rotor spins (direction of the firing order)for your own enjoyment take the cap off and watch it when you crank it. Anyways- get it set and take the cap of put the engine at TDC #1 and mark it on the side od the distributor with a marker scribe or whatever, so when you put the cap on there is no mistake, then run your wires. Make sure you and your friends know the 18436572 and what cylinders are what on the engine(i have no idea how much you or friend know already so im just sayin), then get a charger or another car- preferably blazer J/K (not really, get a blazer ok fine just another car) and hook up the jumper cables-unless you have a really good battery-keepin mind a bad battery will destroy a starter faster than anything else. Crank the k5 flower box and turn the distributor slowly till you hear it start to fire if it pops out the intake your to advanced- exaust to retarded- your not retarded- the timing is so don't fret. if you turn it all the way back and forth and it gets close but doesn't fire take it out just enough to turn it one tooth and repeat the process.

Tips to remember:
    -Make sure the distributor clamp is almost tight, it sucks when it moves on ya and you don't notice
    -take your time, its easy to get mixed up
    -make sure there is spark, don't hold it in your hand please- just put it near some metal in the engine compartment. (bad habit- new cars can seriously hurt ya with their voltage)
    -if no spark check for power at the distributor, if there is no power you can hotwire it _ONLY UNTIL YOU GET EVERY THING SET_ then repair the electrical problem from the ign.

If it turns out you have no spark let us know-

8. kris4real

HEy, thanks. I didn't know that #1 could be anywhere. The book makes it look like its only that one.

We think we got it all lined up - stil no start? We are stumped.

9. red77blazer

Stumped?

Help me help you, Hellllp meeee, help you. :)

You have spark right?
    You have the cylinders correct right?
    You have fuel?
    You have compression?
    Does it pop bang whoop, or anything?

what are you stumped and what have you done exactly and what is it doing when it fires and what are the things you notice if you need help call 360-316-9595 thats my number.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

your welcome... many peeps don't know stuff like that.. it easy when you've installed 100's of dizzys... i always set mine up with #1 pointing at the #1 cylinder..

you'll get it.. you need to confirm some things for us to help ya.... its getting fuel correct? defintely sounds like you've got some ignition issue.. does it fire at all? backfiring out carb or exhaust? cheezy way to check spark is to pull the wire at the plug, stick a #2 phillips screwdriver in it, hold plastic handle and put screwdriver shaft 1/4" or so from a ground..

they have all kinds of tools for checking spark. the newest rage is a little penlike thing with a light, you lay the one end on a wire and the light goes off at the spark.. you just leave it all connected and lay this probe on any wire you want to check, including coil.. very neat, about $30..

let us know what you find...

11. kris4real

Distributor - now timing chain

Hi all,

Its been raining a few days so we finally had a chance to get out and take all the advice. We double checked everything and feel the distributor and ignition is correct at TDC and wired correctly.

The rotor doesn't spin around. My friend said its the timing chain.

When starting, its just cranking and cranking but not firing.

We took the cap off and saw that the rotor isn't turning. Everything is new.

thanks.

kris

any advice?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like the timing chain, or a broken camshaft. (More then likely the timing chain). I recomend a quality double rollor like Cloyes.

13. red77blazer

Was the replacement distributor new, is it possible you took care of one problem with the old distributor and replaced it with a new problem.
    If you watched the valves move before and they still move than your distibutor would not move because of a broken cam or sheared gear pin on the dist., before you tear down the front of the engine see if the valves move on 7/8(you'd have to take the valve cover off anyway to do the cam. But maybe before you do that- pull the distributor out and check the shear pin thru the gear.

14. kris4real

timing chain

Hey, thanks for the post. We worked in and out of the rain most of the weekend. We found a sheered cam gear and a chain that wasn't even all the way on. Probably won't start under those conditions, huh!!! :laugh: Sooooo,.... off it all came, when we removed the cover we were happy to see the chain & gear all messed up because we finally had something to pin down. Its frustrating when you are not sure why..... now we have one reason, at least. Good news is that since I have everyting off anyway, might as well do some upgrades and dressings while I'm at it.... replaced the water pump ( new one is red), fan, repaired my radiator, chromed the water neck, hose coverings, timing chain cover - painted the pulleys & alternator blue & red - replaced cables, ties, wire covers, etc. Degreased and cleaned up the engine and compartment. Whew. it was hard work. All this will go well with a new engine if I end up replacing the engine.

I'll send a picture with my next post. before/after. We are dropping the distributor back in this morning and I'm gonna prep to start and then turn the key. Wish me luck!!!

kris

15. red77blazer

nice

yup, luck. good job

16. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

work done

lets see you pictures soon

17. kris4real

Started on the first try

It started on the first try. The new ignition is amazing. prrrrring with a little ticking.

We couldn't have done it better. So careful in every step. TDC was right on. You can see our dress-up also... looking a lot better.

Stupid freeze plug is leaking. :surepal:

More fun for tomorrow! By the way, I've also posted a picture of the tornado that hit Sacramento about 1/2 mile up the street from me. I told you it was raining!!!

thanks for all the help. See you on the trail!

kris