Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!!! 89 Blazer won't start!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

HELP!!!!! 89 Blazer won\'t start!!!

I've got Spark, and I've got fuel, but it WON'T START. When I finally got it to start two days ago, it took it FOREVER to do it. This thing has been slowly going down hill for the last few weeks until now, it just won't start. The only code I've gotten in the last month was a code 45 rich fuel mixture. After you crank on it for a while, the brake light comes on while your cranking.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! I can't have this thing down anymore. Either it starts and runs tonight, or I sell it tommorrow! PLEASE HELP!!!

Anyone Near Tulsa want to help? Got no beer, but I can keep you in pepsi indefinately /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: HELP!!!!! 89 Blazer won\'t start!!!

what kinda compression you getting?

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't put a guauge on it yet, didn't have time last night, but I did pull the number one plug and stuck my finger down there, TON'S OF COMPRESSION!! This motor has les than 5k miles on it NEW.

4. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

check your idle air control valve. hold pedal to floor and see if it starts. This would indicate the IAC is sticking You said you are getting fuel? Verify this by watching injectors to see if they are firing during cranking. Also I would replace your o2 sensor. If this is a modified motor you may need a custom chip burned. Also clean the tbi as they get really nasty dirty. Also check out www.thirdgen.org under the tbi section for some more info..

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    check your idle air control valve. hold pedal to floor and see if it starts. This would indicate the IAC is sticking You said you are getting fuel? Verify this by watching injectors to see if they are firing during cranking. Also I would replace your o2 sensor. If this is a modified motor you may need a custom chip burned. Also clean the tbi as they get really nasty dirty. Also check out www.thirdgen.org under the tbi section for some more info..

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm getting fuel, the smell alone is STRONG!!! The ONLY way I could get it to start was by putting the pedal all the way to the floor. IAC huh, I can try that. The motor is stock, BONE stock. I know the O2 needs to be replaced, but I can't imagin that would keep it from starting as well...

Thanks guy for the replies. Keep em coming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

Sound exactly like what mine did. you can clean the iac per the instructions on thirdgen.org. Do NOT get carb cleaner in the IAC motor if you clean it. IT will kill it thats what happened to mine. I also had to clean my tbi because of all the crap that had built up on and inside of it.

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The brake light part made me wonder about the battery, just a thought.

Also, have you checked the spark plugs? Maybe they've gotten gunked up.

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The brake light part made me wonder about the battery, just a thought.

Also, have you checked the spark plugs? Maybe they've gotten gunked up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plugs looked great /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The battery, I'm not sure about. I've never had a problem with it, i.e. slow start, no start, etc...

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Huh. Was waiting for the right post to say this.

Just read in "Corvette Fever" that if you are getting fuel and spark, and nothing has been changed on the engine, disconnect the EST connector (how you set base timing on EFI vehicles) and see if it will start.

If it starts, your ignition module is bad. I haven't had opportunity to try this, but I suspect they are correct.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Huh. Was waiting for the right post to say this.

Just read in "Corvette Fever" that if you are getting fuel and spark, and nothing has been changed on the engine, disconnect the EST connector (how you set base timing on EFI vehicles) and see if it will start.

If it starts, your ignition module is bad. I haven't had opportunity to try this, but I suspect they are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was [_________] close to trying that last night, and I'm not sure why???

I'll do it when I get home and let you know if it helps any.