Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! A Mazda owner made fun of my 14 bolt!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer79, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

My aunt's brother in law came to visit yesterday. He just bought a new 2002 Mazda 4wd crew cab truck. When he entered my driveway he saw my work in progress Blazer with a 14bolt and 36x16.50x16.5 Dick Cepek Radial FC tires and the stock 10 bolt front with 29" tires (I have a Dana 60 waiting on my yard).

The 14 bolt is very noticeable since the Blazer is "bending over". At first he was shocked due to the huge tires compared to his wimpy 31x10.50 Wranlger AT/S tires, but then he proceeded to tell me how I was just wasting my time and money since I didn't gain any clearance at the rear dif and that his Mazda truck would probably go just about everywhere I would go. We proceeded to measure and effectively, I had only about 1" more clearance than his tiny dif with smaller tires.

My only point at that time was that my dif wouldn't get destroyed if I hit a rock and that I could shave about 1" more inch off. I forgot to tell him that I'll be installing a Detroit locker soon.

What else could I have said to convince hime that my Blazer is WAY more capable than his shiny new truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifAnd that there is no way he can follow me?

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hook bumpers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Actually when you get it done enough to wheel just tell him to put his money where his mouth is.

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone needs to make the :kick in the nuts: faces so i can post it here. When hes not looking put one of your front tires on his hood /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I've found its a pretty effective way of showing supremecy.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

just run his little truck over monster truck style.i dont think hell be saying anything about clearance then.haha j/k.id just tell him you did it for strength issues.tell him to put some 36's on his truck and start wheeling and see how long his axles last.clearance is a major problem with the 14 bolt but at least they are virtually indestructable.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Just make sure whatever you guys do, make a large wager that he will definitely lose! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just tell him.
    "It's better to crease you hood with as I drive over you girly truck" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It's about the not breaking part. Then take him to the local axle braker trail and have him play follow the leader with you. Be sure to bring a trailer to drag his truck home on.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As soon as your done with your upgrades, take him for a ride and show the putz what your truck can do !!!! Go wheeling with him, see if he'll even attemp to follow where you'll be going.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

You should just challenge him to a race.....to see who can pull an axle shaft faster. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif After a couple hours passes by and he finally has his out, you can show him how weinie his axles are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

hell yeah! put a few large on a "Hey, Follow the Leader" ride and start figuring out what pricey bar you are gonna drink at to cheer your victory /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Clearance under the diff on a flat road is NOT the whole story...!

The key will be when you get onto a rutted or rocky trail that starts swallowing his tires and leaving his diffs dragging along the ground! Meanwhile your 36" tires will simply fillup the hole and drive right through it.....

The proof will be "on the trail".... and you will NOT be hearing him criticize you again after that. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Someone needs to make the :kick in the nuts: faces

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Techincally speaking, your tires are much more effective-the design is better, they are wider, and they are taller. Even if his 31's were TSL's, they would not do as well as 36" TSL, etc. His IFS front suspension would not perform well off-road, and lack of traction devices ie Lockers, limited slips, would be a major disadvantage. His over all truck height would also lack what you have, big puddle would swallow his truck as you power through. Grim made a good point about the trails too, his tires would fall into holes and his truck would high center or bottom out leaving him with no traction. Again, you power through like its nothing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Tell him to talk to you about wheelig after he has done some /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ground clearance under the dif is not the reason for big tires.
    find a 14" high ledge and ask him to drive over it
    a 31 can hardly get over a curb

large obstical requires large tires

14. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hey a 31" tire can go over a curb just fine /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif don't ask me how i know. lol. later.

jacob

15. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i agree with goober. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

So what? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how cares what he thinks..hes driving a pos mazda man!! we all know what are blazers and chevy trucks are about! you dont need to show him nothin..but if he ever wants to take you up on a off road challange on a trail or something..you know you would whoop his ass!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would say, since you have the 14 bolt, put on a set of 39.5 or 42" then tell me who has more clearance.
    I am still with 36" because I have the 12bolt.

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Would this be like Pee Wee Herman making fun of Mister Olympia? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Kinda hard to compare a real truck to an wanna-be,make that never will be!Your K/5 will go places he would/will never be able to go!Can anyone say "bulletproof"?Try throwing on some 36's on an Mazda and not blow the motor/fry the tranny/destroy the diffs/destroy the body or actually be able to drive it!!Leave the Mazdas at the mall!!!Give me a break...this is'nt even a comparision!!I eat Jeeps for dinner,Mazdas for a snack!!Mike