Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help a newbie out!! need to rebuild my motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ilikeitloud, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

Oct 30, 2003
    im in the process of building up my rig. i own a 88 blazer stock 350 fuel injected. now im an ametuer when it comes to motors in all aspects. but my friend can pretty much rebuild the entire motor if i give him the parts. i have 1500 dollas at my disposal i dont know if thats a decent amount to put in the engine but its what i got. i would like to see around 300hp with 350 lb-ft of torque. what would be involved/needed to make this happen.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Apr 15, 2002
    I spent $1000 on my last small block rebuilt but I did it myself. It might not be a bad idea to hit the bookstore and buy a book on "Hot rodding the Chevy" or something like "How to rebuild your small block". If anything, these books ussually have tables of data in them. I still have the ones I bought in highschool because of that data.

Have fun with it. I remember my first one. sniffle.
  3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jul 22, 2001
    Just rebuild it stock and strong with decent heads and 9 to 1 compression. You wont get much power with engine work alone. You need intake, throttle body/injectors, fuel pressure regulator, k+n air filter , exhaust and a chip for starters. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
  4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    1500 wont take you too far with FI.
    You will be able to build a good strong engine but you wont see 300 hp.
    If you know someone to do the labor for free
    Just do a good rebuild on your 350.
    Do all needed machine work
    Get it balanced. (highly recomended)
    Put in a computer frendly torque building cam.
    Then adding Aftermarket intake and headers should more than take care of your $1500 budget. (Smog legal headers alone are $400. If you dont have to worry about smog a good set of long tubes will be quite a bit cheaper.)
    An adjustable fuel pressure regulator will help you get the most out of everything.
    That should get you in the 250RW Hp range and be building good torque #
    This will be a good respectable engine that is ready to accept future bolt on mods you may want to do to increase power.

If you want to make 300 hp or over;
    along with stuff above you will need
    better heads ( Vortec, or World torquer II) $600-800
    Bigger TB and injectors $ 300-400 (Stock TB is only good for around 280 hp. Maby 300 with bigger injectors and a few mods to increase air flow)
    Depending on your cam a new chip can cost $150-300.
    Plus you can add a bunch of other small stuff depending on what kind of TB you go with. +$