Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help a newbie out....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue84K10, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Blue84K10

Blue84K10 Registered Member

Well I purchased my first 4x4 about three monthes ago. It is a 1984 K10. It has a 79' 400cubic inch V8 with a stick. It started as a V6 auto. I purchased new rancho shocks got it tuned up and did all the basic maintenance that you should do when you purchase a used vechile. Unfortunalty shortly arfter purchasing the car a friend hit a curb at about 35mph, tacoed the rim. I believe that my frame is slighty bent and same with the axle. The transfer case was also cracked, so the truck slips out of gear when I drive on the highway for sustained periods of time. I just purchased a new front and rear axle and tranfer case for $500. It came with a 6 inch lift springs in front blocks in back. Now I don/t know what to do. I am thinking about taking it down to the local frame and axle shop and have them look at it. If anyone has any helpful suggestions please let me know. I also have a 84 2wd Surburban that only needs an alternator to run to trade for parts for my truck. I live in Seattle Washington. Thanks again.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

take it to a reputable bodyshop. halfass methods will lead to halfass results. only right way to do it is with a real frame machine where you can make the exact pulls needed...

it may be cheaper than you think to strap to a machine and give it a tweak. we used to see that all the time. just a frame straighten and somebody else was doing their own bodywork, drivetrain, etc..

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Does the transfercase slip out or the transmssion?

The 208 that cam in your truck is known for some quirks and not all are internal. Bad tranny mount, bad cab mounts body lifts and rusted out cab mounts can all change where the shifter for the 208 needs to be adjusted to. Check those parts first and verify the linkage is adjusted properly.

That said there is some reports of the pads on the shift folk being worn and cause these symptoms as well.

On the steering. Check the frame at the steering box. They are prone to cracking at the mount. Check ball joints and TRE's. You can use a straght edge hung uner the full width of the axle and a measuring tape to veirfy that the axle is true. Usulay they don't bend...they break at the point the tubes go into the pumpkin.

4. Blue84K10

Blue84K10 Registered Member

Thanks for the help I will keep yall up to date and probably be asking for more help in the near future.