Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help a newbie

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear, Sep 16, 2002.

1. bear

bear Registered Member

hey all.....I'm new to the board and new to wheeling. I'm thinking about lifting my 83 K5. what do you guys recommend? I want about 3 inches of lift......and I also want to keep it pretty cheap. I'll probably use lift blocks in rear, but what should I use in the front? any info. appreciated.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

everyone has there own preferance as far as brands of lifts go but what ever you do dont put blocks in the front that is a bad no no lol give us some more info like what kind of wheeling you want to do what size tires you want to run and such. do you want it to flex good or just be lifted?

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would go 4" springs up front and a shackle reversal in rear. blocks are cheap but cause other problems. Ck the ORD website for those. welcome to the site.

4. bear

bear Registered Member

i'm running 31" tires now, and will probably upgrade to 33"s in a few months. 4wheeling around here is mostly in mud...any thoughts on body lifts?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a 75 burb with a 2" body lift and running 33's. click the link in my sig for pics, and welcome.

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

4" lift would be perfect for you. You could go 35" in the future if you wanted to.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah i'd go with a set of soft front 4" springs, and the shackle flip in the back. i have explorer pro-comp springs and they are STIFF, i don't like them. get superlift super rides, skyjacker soft rides or tuff country EZ rides all of these are soft flexy springs. the shackle flip in the rear allows you to keep your stock rear spring and still have 4" of lift with out blocks. blocks cause "axle wrap" or "spring wrap" which will wear your springs out. hope this helps

oh and body lifts are fine there are a lot of guys on here with them and they're happy, i have a 2" waiting to be installed on my suburban.

last but not least i'd skip the 33"s and go with 35"s. i originally wanted exactly what you want and this site talked me into a 4" (i'm glad they did) and i got 36"s. now i'm about to have 7" front and 6" rear and i'm sure it'll keep growing. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would do suspension lift. skip the body lift and go 35's.

10. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

I put a 4 on my 90 put springs f&r 34 inh. 950 tires clearance isant a problem but the main reason i replied
    is the extra stuff front. drive shaft wold not even bolt up
    hade to have cross pipe moved 80 bucks then had shaft leghthend half the splines exposed another 100 bucks. brake line stretched another 100 bucks for longer lines
    dont regret it just hate to have some one think the price in a catalog is it . good luck /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. bear

bear Registered Member

thanks for all the info guys......I think I'll look into the 4" springs for the front and the shackle flip in the rear. any idea on a ballpark cost for all of this?

12. bear

bear Registered Member

also......if I run that setup, will I be able to keep the shocks I have, or will they need to be replaced? I have HD Firestones on now........

13. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

more lift = bigger shocks and longer brakelines. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Alot of lift kits come with new shocks, mine did.

15. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

what par tof GA you in? there are alot of good people down here, welcome to the site

if you get taller tires, your gears in the axles will be an issue. if you have 3.73 or numerically larger, like 4.10 then you qill be in great shape. but with 3.08's then our truck will be slugish. it still runs, but it does not have as great performance as it used to.

35's or 36's are the way to go. i have 31's on my daily driver, and i wanted to go bigger until we bought anopther blazer already on 35's. body lifts are fine, since youi will be in mud. dont go bigger than a three inch body. that uis about as high as you should go witout sacrificing too much safety.

once again, welcome to the site, and hoe this helps.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome Neighbor.
    Meet Stephen Watson at www.offroaddesign.com Just don't let him talk you ear off /forums/images/icons/grin.gif He will have everything you need and he's about the best prices around. If you Join CK5 you will even get a discount on some of it that should exceed your CK5 $25 membership fee.
    If you want to get it dirty then visit here. www.gbr4wd.com
    Where at are you? Several of us around Atl.

17. bear

bear Registered Member

hey guys.....iI'm in Hiram, just west of Atlanta. Anyone recommend a good 4x4 shop/garage in the area?
    Maybe I'll have to set up a ride with you guys......can anyone recommend any good trails in the north GA area? directions would also be appreciated.

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I like 4Wheel Parts center (not the chain) off of Buford Hwy. Kevin (the owner) has taken good care of the Atlanta Clubs. He's the little guy. He's cheaper than the chain place but the chain will match his prices.
    TERD73 works maybe part owner, never asked, at Apalacian 4x4 in Jasper. I think he's more fabrication and not acctually a store like your looking for but I might be wrong. I thought there was a 4x4 place over by you.
    Ohh that FREAKIN idiot that use to come flying through town from the 120 extension in the red CRX...he's my bud. He moved towards Douglassville is why you haven't been run off the road recently.