Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Air Diverter Valve... *problem fixed!*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rawhead, Sep 14, 2003.

1. rawhead

rawhead Registered Member

Last week my diverter valve melted down.
    [​IMG]
    The rubber hose that connects to it melted as well. So I replaced the diverter valve and rubber hose. This morning I drove the truck to the lake for some fishing and the new diverter valve and hose melted down again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Does anyone know what may be causing this? I drove around town for over a week with the new parts and no problem. Both times the valve melted down it happend on the freeway. I know some will say *@$#*# smog equipment... just take it off till you have to smog it! but I would like to control the emissions. Please help!!
    Burned Diverter Valve
    Burned Diverter and Check Valve

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Help! Air Diverter Valve...

Look downstream from the diverter valve. The tubing going to each exhaust bank should have a check valve installed in the line. It's there to prevent exhaust from backflowing up into the diverter valve. Sounds like one of them has failed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Check your AIR pump to make sure it's working. It looks like it might not be blowing at all and the hot exhaust is running up the tubes and into the valve, etc. which isn't supposed to happen. Something might be plugged up around the AIR pump, or it may be broken. That's the first thing I would check.

4. rawhead

Thanks for the quick response guys! So the air should only go one direction? So if I turn on the truck that check valve should NOT have any exhaust coming from it?

Thanks again

5. HarryH3

Hot air should definitely not be coming back to the diverter valve. The air pump runs all the time. When conditions are right, the diverter sends fresh air into the exhaust stream to help burn any unburned fuel that is coming out of the engine. It also helps the catalytic converter do its job properly. But when the air is not needed in the exhaust stream, the diverter valve sends the air out through another pipe, which has a small muffler on the end of it, just to keep it quiet.

The check valves are setup to let fresh air flow towards the exhaust manifolds, but NOT let hot exhaust gases back through to the diverter. So if you can feel exhuast coming from either tube, then the check valve on that side is dead (or someone installed it backwards /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ).

6. rawhead

I fired the truck up and sure enough, exauhst was coming through the check valve. I removed the check valve and and I was able to blow through both sides of the check valve with NO resistance. I'm off to the parts house to pickup some new parts.
    Thanks for all of your help... you guys kick @ss!!

7. HarryH3

Cool! Let us know if the regular parts houses stocks those. I've never tried to buy one, so I don't know if its a dealer-only item or not.

8. rawhead

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool! Let us know if the regular parts houses stocks those. I've never tried to buy one, so I don't know if its a dealer-only item or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything was available from my local parts suplier (Kragen). The Diverter valve sells for $29 and the check valve sells for $15. Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

I love it when stuff gets fixed cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif