Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!! aka - HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swamp donkey, May 19, 2003.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Any one ever wonder what happens to a truck after it has been driven on the streets, at street speeds, in 4 low, w/ hubs locked? Well I can tell you... it's bad.
    I was out of town and told a friend (who own a little import car) they could borrow my truck to go to Home Depot. Like the jacka@@ I am I left the truck in 4 low after testing my new drive shaft. My friend knows nothing about trucks and couldn't believe how crappy my truck drove (uhh yeah!). About half way home the front end locks up and sends him into a gaurd rail.
    We manage to limp it home, and a peak underneath in the dark reveals that the passenger side "thingy" you know that part inside the that thing that turns? is broken.
    I abviously have know Idea what it is called, or how to fix it... what did I break, and how do I fix it? also where else should I look for damage? The motor sounds a bit funny, maybe like a header is leaking? Crap , Crap , Crap. My truck was for sale too. HELP please.

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pics dude, need pics sounds like you broke the axle shaft and it bound up against the housing fairly easy fix

3. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

hey Dylan
    WOW that S U C K S /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    dude i cant believe your luck with your k5
    any ways give me a call and ill try 2 come over on wendsday 2 check it out if it can wait till then but if its a 911 ill stop
    over after work
    Randy

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

part inside the thingy? maybe he talking about his hubs...

if not his hubs then his axle-ujoint.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    reveals that the passenger side "thingy" you know that part inside the that thing that turns?

[/ QUOTE ]

im gonna have to say stub shaft, but we neeed pics. if its s a stub depending on how bad it is it wont be too hard to fix.

nathan

6. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input - doctor4x4 is gonna fix it wednesday.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I did this on accident once...Stupidity and lack of sleep on my part.

I was replacing some of my rear wheel studs in a AutoZone parking lot after loosing a rear wheel on the hwy (not fun!). I put it in 4lo and locked the hubs to hold it in place while I was changing out those studs. When I got the wheel back on and got on the fwy I forgot to unlock the hubs or put it back in 2wd. At least I noticed that something was NOT RIGHT! I had the hardest time getting it back out of 4lo...but no damage done.