Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Alternator -Voltage Regulator Replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MontanaLifted, Dec 9, 2003.

1. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have instructions on opening up the alternator? I have to replace the 'dag'gum voltage regulator inside my '77 but the last time I opened an alternator up I couldn't get it to fit back together.

I know there are some tricks on keeping the brushes together when sliding it back together but does anyone have a GREAT way of replacing the regulator?

Thanks,
    ML
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

To keep the brushes in, use a tooth pick. Notice that there is a small hole in the brush holder that go's through the back half of the case. Push in the first brush, incert tooth pick, push in second brush, push tooth pick through. When you put your Alternator back together, spin it, then pull out tooth pick. You should hear 2 clicks. (You can use a paper clip instead of tooth pick if you choose.)

3. MontanaLifted

MontanaLifted 1/2 ton status

Thats what the helpful guys at the parts store told me too.
    So there shouldn't be anything else to it? Nothing else will pop out or go flying across the shop???

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Nope, everything else is bolted down in thar.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

small paperclip works too, hardest thing is getting pulley nut removed, use an impact gun and it will come off easily

good luck

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you sure that the regulator is the problem? Bad brushes will result in no output, or intermittent output.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

$20 rebuild kit comes with the regulator, diode trio, and in my case, about 4 pair of (different) brushes, I don't think you can even buy a regulator for $20.n (may have even had front bearing, can't recall)

No point in tearing the thing down and not replacing "the rest" of the innards for that price.