Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help an electrical retard out- i think my pickup coil is bad** Fixed! Read*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Sep 2, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

well the truck wont start this morning. have juice to the cap but no sparky. so i test the coil and it seems to test fine. here is what i get when i test the pickup coil. with ohm tester set at 20k i get 9.6 when going from ground to either lead. between the two leads with tester at 20M (highest setting right??) i get .007

manual says im supposed to have 900-1500 ohms resistance. and i get 9.6 do i have my tester set right? on the test between the 2 leads the gage should zero out for infanate resistance- right? help, please /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Help an electrical retard out- i think my pickup coil is bad

I bet you have the meter set wrong
    Look at the cap and rotor very good I have had problems with bad contacts from the cap and rotor. The screws on the top let in water and that was my problem.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get your ignition module tested!!

4. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Typically if you are on a 20k scale, and you are reading 9.6 that would be 9.6k ohms or 9600 ohms. With the meter leads connected to each other you should get pretty close to 0 ohms (.007 close enough). Infinite is when the leads don't touch. Now if the manual says you should measure 900-1500 ohms, set the meter to the closest setting over 1500 ohms. If that's 20k on your meter,fine then I think your measurement of 9.6k ohms is correct and your coil is bad. Measure it again if your meter does have a lower setting (closer to 1500 ohms). Remember, the meter has to be set over the expected reading. Also make sure you read the correct scale on the meter (assuming it's analog not digital).

5. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

ok, well i replaced the pickup coil and she runs! i believe my first test was ok with the ground to each lead, but the test between the two leads should have given me infanate resistance and i did show some resistance.

sooooo, any reason why i would go through 2 pickup coils in 6 months. this is the second time this has happend. last time i had a used distributor so i just droped it in. this time i was out of spares so i had to replace the pickup. very anoying cause there where no indicators, just desides not to start one morning and you day is screwed- gotta love it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Have you checked out how much slop is in the dist housing vs. the shaft...that would allow the shaft to be forced to one side as it is under presuure from the cam...so its possable to contact the other part of the pick up system..the teeth......shat kit from gm ia around $45 from gm for an 86 down hei...but if its worn usually you are money ahead to buy a accel unit instead of a azone or checker unit...and i'm not even gonna go there.

BTW...my parents live in bend...eagle road.

DW

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

everything seemed tight to me. but that would make sense if it was loose. it's running fine now but i hate it when i can't figure out why it happened- twice now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif