Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! ASAP!! ELECTRIC TAILGATE.....**updated**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jul 30, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I need to know if there is a way to get the window up with and electric tailgate without any power. The window is stuck down, the plug with the wiring going into the tailgate is there and we cant seem to get it to go up. This is on a '73 burb. There are 3 wires coming out. Blue, brown and orange. I have my truck pulled up to it using my battery to power the wires going into the tailgate, but we cant seem to get it to go up. Which wires are for what, ground, up, down?? There is no wiring in the truck except for the harness coming out of the tailgate. I really need to get this thing up because I am towing this beast to Iowa and its on the trailer backwards, wiht the window down that is some serious drag. PLEASE HELP!! Any way to get the thing up?? Like I said I cant get to the regulator or motor cause the window is down. HELP ME! TIA

2. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Re: HELP!!! ASAP!! ELECTRIC TAILGATE.....

Not sure if this helps, but on my 81 blazer there is a safety switch on the driver side of the tailgate. It prevents the window from going up with the tailgate down. You might see if yours has one and check the conections or mabe even bypass it.

Keep it simple!

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i THINK the motor is grounded from the body, so if using a seperate battery you need to ground to the body, but i do not know which wire is for up down, but you shouold be able to just try applying power to each one in turn until it goes up, just disconnect the harness so you do not back feed to something important

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

yeah, you need to do it with the gate closed

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

OK, here it goes. Blue is for the up, on a blazer it runs to a latch that has a trigger for a cut-out when the gate is open (this maybe messed up and you may have to by-pass it.) Brown is for the down. The orange goes to the switch on the back to raise and lower the glass with the key. It is always hot and turns into another set of blue and brown inside the gate that also control the motor. The blue and brown entering the gate from the outside will not be hot unless the ignition is on. The wires go into the cab via a plug up front on the right side of the firewall. Good luck!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

6. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, done for the night, going to try again tomorrow. But, a couple questions. First yes we were trying it with the tailgate shut. The wiring is completly out. EXCEPT for the wires out of the tailgate (3 of them) This thing is just a rolling chassis with the body. No wiring.
    So, I dont even have to mess with the brown wire? I dont have a key and there is no way to turn on the ignition because there isnt one. No key either. So now what?? If nothing else, we will just roll down the 4 side windows and pull the front windshield, its cracked anyways, but I would really like to just get the friggin back window up! Thanks guys!

7. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

If all else fails, you can take the cover off and crank it by hand. It's a mild pain in the arss. I had to do it once when my motor quit on my '83 blazer. It was a long time ago but if i remember right I used a socket and a ratchet to turn it.

Chrome Won't Get You Home!!!!

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

How do you crank it by hand and take what cover off? The inspection cover on the inside? I cant get to the motor cause the window is down. Please explain. This coulsbe the fix I need! Thanks!

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If the window is down or up you will stil get to the motor. The motor is right behind the acces panel. Just remove the wire(it's just like a speedo-wire) and bring a cordless drill. Attach the wire to the drill, and crank the window upp manually.
    Also check out the pictures of my "gutted out tailgate" on my web-page. It shows every step:

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Maybe I am missing something here, but with the window down, even with the access panel removed, you cant get to the motor. The motor is inbetween the glass and the tailgate...........isnt it?

11. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Not on mine!? I'm pretty sure your is the same.Take a look at the 3. picture on my "tailgate work" page

<font color=red>&lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com&gt;www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com&lt;/a&gt;</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Espen88k5 on 07/31/01 12:55 AM.</FONT></P>

12. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

My tailgate has the motor right behind the access panel. The glass is behind the motor. Just remove the cable from the bottom of the motor and chuck it in a drill. It may take a little longer, but it will get there. I've been doing this for two months now. It's a pain, but it sounds like you won't need to access the rear too often for now. If not, you can always remove the glass from the tracks and chock it with wood or plastic. Good luck.

Steve

13. ecreipevad

ecreipevad Registered Member

DIDDO!

Chrome Won't Get You Home!!!!

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just went through this on my Jimmy. Blue is the wire for up as has been said already. The safety can be bypassed by making sure the little latches are all the way engaged. I had to screw around with mine for a while because the gate doesn't close very well.

I used the a separate battery and jumper cables. Ground to a bolt or something on the tailgate itself and touch the positive side to the blue wire. If nothing happens try slamming the gate farther shut...its probably not closing all the way.

Also the cordless drill and the cable trick works very well.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

15. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats the way my BLAZER is too, I just had that apart a couple weeks ago. But this is a burb and from what I can tell, unless I am alot more tired than I think I am[​IMG], the motor is behind the glass. Damn you guys are starting to make me wonder if I'm going nuts![​IMG][​IMG]...maybe I am!
    tRusty- I'll try again, now that I now for sure which wire is the up wire, I should be able to get it.........I hope! I'll check it out again tonight after work.

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hell, if worse comes to worst, rough-cut a piece of plywood to cover the hole and strap/tape/rope it on there.

Or if you really wanna get crazy, get a few long bolts and bolt a couple chunks of 2x4 to the back of the plywood, then sandwich the tailgate and the lip at the top, between the plywood and 2x4, with the bolts (big giant clamp).

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

17. 80blazer

80blazer Registered Member

This is real easy like it has been said above there is a flexable drive shaft attached to the motor disconnect it from the motor and attach a cordless drill and crank away. Goood luck

Its time to lock them in!

18. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just did my last week. I completely rewired it. I have the GM tailgate wiring diagram and I can fax it to you if you need it. I also have my Jeep owner proof version of the wiring diagram that is kinda easier to understand. I can also take some digital images of the rewiring is you need visual aids. Let me know....I'll be back outside all day today installing new tint so I will have the tail gate down all day.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>

19. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone for the help! I got the window up. I dont know if all burbs are like this, or just the earlier ones, but the motor and cable are not accessible with the window in the down position. The motor is in between the glass and the outer skin of the tail gate with the window down. Glad my Blazer isnt like that. Anyways, knowing the blue wire was the up really helped. It turns out the plug was bad I guess, so I spliced into the blue wire about an inch up from the plug (coming out of the tailgate) touched the other end of that to the + of my battery and used another wire from the frame of the burb to the - side and...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the window went up! Again thanks to all!!