Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP ASAP Lower Sector Shaft Seal!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, May 6, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had my box rebuilt by Matt at WTO for the 4th time and got it back about 2 months ago. On the very first trip out when I would put some force on the steering it would leak like crazy, steady stream, from the lower sector shaft seal where the pitman arm attaches. But when sitting still or driving around it doesn't leak, only when theres alot of force like steering while sitting still.

So I never noticed it again since I basically blew my rear axle up and didn't get the truck going again till yesterday. Then I notice it leaking again so I buy a seal kit for my application, 96 Chevy K3500 pickup, and go to put it in and somethings not right. I pull the little plastic/rubber dust seal type thing that is lightly pressed into the end of the box and I expect to see a snapring and washer and seals but I see nothing.

The box is empty other than the sector shaft for at least an inch up into the box and up there I can see something whiteish but can't tell what it is, there is no snapring. My seal kit came with the 2 seals, 2 washers, and snap ring like I'm used to. Is this box different or did Matt just forget to put the seals in???? I was thinking the little rubbery dust shield type thing on the bottom I pulled off could have been holding back fluid under low pressure situations but anything high pressure it got by.

I need to leave for the hammers and for the CalROCS comp at 5am tomorrow morning!!!!!! Thanks in advance for any help!

Heres the diagram from GM showing the seals and washers and snapring there...

[​IMG]

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright so I got a flash light and snaked my head up in there next to the 500 degree exhaust manifold and it looks like the seals are in there but there is no traditional snap ring... It looks like there pressed in or something??? Is this the way the new ones are or what? I've only worked on the pre-ifs style boxes.

Seal that was slipped onto the bottom of the box:

[​IMG]

Inside of box:

[​IMG]

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stumped me. All the ones I did are exactly like your posted diagram. I always pull c clip. leave arm on. start it up, Full left crank. Mop up all the fluid all over the place. Drive in new seals.