Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP ASAP!!! PLEASE can not get brakes to bleed out !!update!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Dec 28, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i put new calipers on my 89 today, and now i cant get the pedal to stop going straight to the floor.
    i have a vacuum pump and have bled at least a pint through each caliper , and even went to the old method of 1 guy pumping and the other opening and closing the bleeder valve. even removed the master cylinder and changed the fluid and bench bled it (i think) and reinstalled and then bled a cup of fluid through both wheels.
    WHAT AM I MISSING?
    PLEASE HELP!!!
    THANKS CHRIS

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: HELP ASAP!!! PLEASE can not get brakes to bleed out

Don't toss aside the idea that the master cylinder could now be bad. Mine didn't fail as quickly or catastrophically after bleeding the brakes, but worked fine before I did, but afterwards, couldn't get the spongy feeling out. Eventually pedal started hitting the floor at lights, master cylinder was the problem.

Start with more bleeding though. Don't spend the money unless you have ruled out everything else, like leaks or improper bleeding. If you've got air up near the proportioning valve or something, it will take a bit to get to the back of the truck. "The old method" worked fine for me in both cases. (except for the bad master cylinder)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

thanks
    how much bleeding should i try before i replace the master cylinder??
    as stated i have pumped at least a quart of fluid, and as of yet have not moved to the rear, still just trying to get the front to work.
    also the fluid that comes back into the resivoir seems to have air in it, but the fluid at the wheel is clean
    HELPPPPP????
    thanks

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On the front cross member is your proportioning valve. On one end of it is a rubber nipple...under that rubber nipple is a button. That button is supose to be pressed to equalize the propotioning valve when bleeding. Nipple does not need to be removed. The button doesn't move much...maybe and 1/8 at most. I have alsways been able to get mine to bleed out with out pressing using the vacume method but some folks have had issues like you have and not been able to get it bleed without it.
    As for the master. Sometimes seals give it up when you bleed out the brakes. They were getting ready to go if this is the case. Power/vacum bleeding seems to be the final straw when they are on the verge. Also trash that was stuck in the master will damage the seals with the extra travel and open system has. $35 for a rebuilt master (at least that's what they go for on the 70's trucks) is not such a bad idea if your in doubt or thats the original master on the truck.
    Uhhh by chance does your truck have ABS? I think there is some unique step needed to be taken for ABS equipped trucks.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

thanks grim
    no i do not have abs, and i will go out and try pushing the little button, but then what do i do?
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

6. Grim-Reaper

you sit there and get somebody else to bleeds the brakes [​IMG]. Like I said I guess I have been lucky and never had to press it to get them to bleed out. From what I understand the button needs to be held when you bleed. I think you might be able to take a peice of soft wook and a c-clamp to hold the button if your working alone. Bleed the passenger side and then the driver side. Release the button and give them a try.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

had the same problem last year. I had to eventually take it to a shop and have them power bled it, not sure what all is involved there. They said they had a hard time getting the the prop valve reset also. Yhe brakes are stil not 100% so i think i will be replacing the prop valve soon.

Bigmeats.....Manhattan Il

1975 Blazer

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just did some checking in my 86 service manual. The "push button" isn't described, the manual just says "replace valve"

The causes of excessive pedal travel:
    insufficient fluid in Master Cylinder
    Air in brake system
    Malfunctioning self adjusters (rears obviously)
    Master Cylinder
    Incorrect wheel bearing adjustment
    Improperly adjusted Master Cylinder pushrod

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

First I must ask does your truck have a hydrobooster on it? (where the brake boost is drawn from the power steering pump) if so the engine must be running was the only way i could get mine to bleed after thatthe thing will almost throw you through the windshield. next whenever bleeding rakes always star from wheel farthest from the master cylinder even if only changed front brakes or vice versa go pass/rear driver/rear pass/front driver/front and continue this process until no more bubbles or air in lines. Hope this helps.

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

10. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

went out today and installed a NEW not reman master cylinder ($45 autozone) and i seem to have good holding front brakes, can hold the pedal to the floor and press gas and easily spin rear tires, but when i bleed the rear i just get constant air bubbles, where could i have a vacuum leak only, but not fluid leaking??? this thing is getting the best of me. the brake light is still on, and when i bled i started at the right rear and worked my way around, and even clamped the little rubber button down on the prop valve and i have good fluid and no bubble at the front, only rear.
    one positive note, with theamount of fluid i have bled through the system i now have really clean fluid in the entire sytem!! this however is not much consolation to the amout of time i have spent on my back in my driveway for such a simple project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks for the ideas so far
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine put his calipers on the wrong sides once. This put the bleeder valves on the bottom and made it impossible to get all the air out. This was on a '70 Chevelle.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

To get fluid to the rears of mine I had to blead from every joint starting at the master! I bled at the master, combo valve, flex line frame end, the T on the axle and finally the wheel cylinders.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

13. Grim-Reaper

Well that sounds to me like It's bleed but the rears are not properly adjusted. Adjust the rears manualy till they have a slight drag when you spin the drum. The way the system is set up there is a bracket that will keep the pistons in the wheel cylinders (rear) from poping out if the adjusters don't keep up. So if you don't have enough adjustment in the rears then the pistons bottom you still get good front brakes but nothing in the rear.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper