Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help ASAP Please

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Yohinan, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Ok so I am driving down the road and step on the brakes and I hear this grinding sound, really bad sounding. I figure the brakes are going out. Well I get the tires off when I get home and pull the calipers off and their is plenty of pad left on both sides. Odd I think, I poke around some more and what do I find but my passenger side axle boot has a large gash in it. I am a little lost now because of this. The grinding noise I hear only when I step on the brakes but it is not the typical noise you hear when your pads are gone and the noise of the replacement tab is screaching. I best describe the noise as a grinding sound. Is it possible my axle is making this noise because something has gotten in there where the large gash is and all the grease has been squeezed out? If so why does it only make the noise when I step on the brakes and not all the time? This is on a 95 Suburban K1500. Thanks for the help. John

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sounds like the grease from your CV boot is getting onto your brakes and that is the sound you hear. Brakes are prolly good, just the grease from the leaking boot.

3. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Sorry for not clarifying. There is no grease at all on the brakes. It is all where the actual boot is. So is it still possible it would be making all this noise and only when braking? Are there any aftermarket axles that are better than the factory ones and if so where can I get one? Thanks again for the help. John

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That I don't know about as I've never looked into it. But if the inside of your boot is getting dry, that is not going to be a good thing

5. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Maybe....

WIth a split boot and little to no lube left in the CV, perhaps applying brakes and a little play in the dry bearings is causing a flattened bearing to drag on the CV, causing that sound ONLY when brakes force it out of alignment, I've seen and heard that on a dry CV.....

6. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

So if my cv joints are already making this noise when I apply the brakes does that mean I cannot just change the boot and repack or do I need to replace the whole thing? Thanks again. John

7. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Can you say REAR DRUMS!!!!! IDIOT!!!!!

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing you found the problem. I hope you didn't just yell at muddytazz! lol

10. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

???????

11. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Yes sorry if I confused anyone. I was calling myself the Idiot ( picture Napolean Dynomite saying it ) It is the rear drums making the noise. I didnt figure it out till I had the wife jump in the truck after putting it back together and had her drive by and stop as she got next to me. It was blantantly obvious that was the problem. Also now that I have to fix the CV boot how do I know whether I should replace the whole dame cv axle or just replace and repack the broken boot? Thanks again. John