Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Dec 29, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I am trying to pull out my 700R4 but dont know how to get the cable thingy off that is on the passenger side behind the dipstick tube?!?! What is it and how do i remove it? And do I HAVE to take the dipstick tube off to pull the tranny down?

2. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about something connected to the dipstick, or the shift cable? If it is the shift cable it has one bolt holding it on right above the pan. If I remember right the dipstick should just pull right out, there is one bolt and a bracket that holds it to the bell housing. The dipstick has an o-ring on it, be careful it will leak some fluid when you pull it out.

3. MOBK5

MOBK5 1/2 ton status

Thats the TV cable, it hooks to your carb. There might be a litte bolt on the side where the piece goes into the trans. Its on a little piece that looks like this >. After that, you should be able to twist and pull it out, then theres a hook attached to the TV, just unhook it and that should be it. That is all I had to do when I took out my 700.

You may have to give it some slack from the carb if you are just taking out the transmission, I took out motor and tranny so the cable was already loose.

4. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

It might be easier to just leave the cable hooked up and disconnect it from the tranny. Not sure though.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

That is the TV cable. The easiest way to deal with it is to un hook it from the carb and then push it through the cable bracket bolted to the intake manifold. There are 2 tabs you need to squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers and it should pull through.

It can be kinda tough to get your hands in and detach it at the trans.

You really should try to take the trans dipstick tube out. It can get all bent up and caught on stuff if you leave it on. Pull on it while twisting and it should come out fairly easy. Some of the ones I have taken out were hardly held in at all.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

disconnect it from the carb or throttle body. they are a major PITA to hook back into the trans without dropping the pan.

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

For sure. Did mine today too. It's easiest to remove the tube too as they're long and pull out easy too.

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've done it both ways - I find it is much easier to disconnect it at the tranny. Just pop the throttle end of the cable off its linkage leaving the cable housing attached. Then remove the little bolt at the tranny side and pull the housing up, then the cable can be removed from the linkage in the tranny.

9. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

definitely disconnect from the carb......or you'll be taking off the pan.

10. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

thaks guys, i got it off, i did take the dipstick off and got the TV cable off. now i just need to pull out the cooler and lines, and the column and get it all ready to be taken away and to make room for my 465/205 i have sitting right next to my truck.:D

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

i've never had the linkage come loose in the trans on a 700R4, i don't think it can without dropping the valve body, and i've done lots of trans's, including the 700r4 in my truck on christmas eve