Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!! asap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Orange, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Orange

Orange Registered Member

I need to know if I have to take off my torque converter along with my tranny. Or can I just leave the converter up bolted on and just change trannies? Which way would it be easier? Any help would be appreciated asap because I need to put my new tranny in tonight. Thanks

Ok I'm done. OH DAMN!! It broke again.

2. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I would imagine it would be best to remove it along with the tranny. Then put it on the new tranny and install it as 1 unit. The reason is because you want to make sure the converter is on all the way. Maybe others who have more expirience with tranny's will be able to give you a better response.

3. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    most certainly pull it with the tranny. Its only an extra 3 bolts! Save you TONS of headaches. While you have the TC off replace the seal and clean the shaft.

4. Orange

Orange Registered Member

Ok I tood it off along with the tranny. Now that I think about it, it seems alot more logical to do it that way. I am changing seal between the tranny and the t-case. It was shot anyways. Now I have to find them. Any ideas where to get them at? Thanks for the help

Ok I'm done. OH DAMN!! It broke again.

5. Take them off together and definately have the TC on the tranny when you put it in so you don't mess up the input seal op the tranny.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Be sure to put the torque convertor back on correctly. I got in a rush and didn't install the convertor right and fried the trannies oil pump. I had to do the whole thing over again, Youcan buy the seals at any auto parts store as far as I know.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey man, Gimme a call if you need help. Send private, and I'll give you my number.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I would also either have the converter flushed or replaced while it's apart. Also, replace the rear main on the engine. I didn't do that the first time I did my Burban so I had to pull it back out about year later.[​IMG]

blazen91

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If the old tranny granaded (burnt up till it misses gears or slips in gear) you really should put in a rebuilt or new converter. If there isn't a drain pulg on the converter there is no way to get the fluid out and your going to end up pumping trash into the new tranny. Even with a drain plug your not going to get all the trash out. Flush the cooler also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/