Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help ASAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flynhi, Aug 13, 2003.

1. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

I am forced to drop my turbo 350 trans to change the flywheel ( rounded teeth ) I need to know what tools I need to do this ..... I have to get this done TODAY so any help, recomendations , hints or whatever will be greatly appriciated. I have never done this before....... I feel this project is a desaster waiting to happen

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Haven't done this in a while, but I think it's pretty straight forward once you get the tranny down. I'm sure someone here can give a better answer though. Got a service manual?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Socket set
    Loooong extensions
    a swivel socket adapter would help
    floor jack to lower the tranny
    a second person to keep you from being crushed to death

...that's all I can think of FAST.

4. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

All I have is a Chiltons repair and tune up guide ( big help ) and limited tools ... but I can borrow some ... just not sure what to borrow ....

5. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

I have heard of a way i can do this without dropping the trany completely, .... by removing driveshafts unbolt transmission and slide it back, and this should give me 5-7 inches to get a socket yp there and undo the bolts on the flywheel .... is this way doable ?????

6. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard of a way i can do this without dropping the trany completely, .... by removing driveshafts unbolt transmission and slide it back, and this should give me 5-7 inches to get a socket yp there and undo the bolts on the flywheel .... is this way doable ?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Conceptually, you can unbolt the front and rear driveshafts (block your tires FIRST!)
    - Unbolt the tranny from engine
    - Unbolt crossmembers from frame
    - Slide the entire transmission/transfercase combo back to get access

The flywheel nuts may be LocTite'd on there, so it's not clear if you'll have enough leverage to break them free in that position.

Oh yes, that reminds me you'll want a torque wrench for the reassembly.

8. flynhi

flynhi Registered Member

well here goes nothing ..... I am sure I will be back to ask how to fix what i have messed up /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

You should also replace your starter drive gear, doesn't make much sense replacing the flexplate and not the starter gear. You will end up with the same condition and from what it sounds like your not looking forward to doing it this time, take my advice also see how your starter engages the flexplate, you might have to shim the starter to get the proper alignment.