Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help......axle questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bear, Oct 22, 2002.

1. bear

bear Registered Member

I need to replace my rear axle but I don't have any idea what I'm doing. I've done engine work, but drivetrain stuff is new territory for me. Ive got an 83 K5 with a 700R4 and a GM 10 bolt rearend. Can anyone tell me which axle to order? And can anyone recommend a supplier for axles? As always, thnks for the help,y'all!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What kind of driving do you want to do, what size tires, and how big is your budget? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I personnaly go to junk yards, some people grow money on trees and buy from pros.
    Let us know more about your wheeling type and your engine size etc... so we can point you in the right direction.

3. bear

bear Registered Member

I have a 305, with 32x12.5 tires and I getting a 2.5 " lift this weekend......springs front and blocks rear. My wheeling is mostly muddy trails that lead to good trout fishing spots. THanks again for the help!

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would go with either a 10 bolt or a 12bolt which is marginally stronger, you will not need anything stronger for what you do. Some will try to convince you to go bigger axles bigger tires, you don't need them.
    If you have the money and don't mind parting with it, go with a currie axle, with a true trac or ask them for their recomendation for your driving style.
    If you are like me and you would rather save a little money and do some work, either post a wanted in this forum and ask for a 10 or 12 bolt with the same ratio you have, or go to junkyards and look for one.
    For what you use it for I would use a limited slip and preferably a true trac, a locker will not be too street friendly, and you don't need more than a limited slip for your kind of places and on 32" tires you don't want the added confidence to get you in trouble /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    For currie axles you can look them up on the web Currie enterprises

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

12 bolt rear. What gear ratio are you running up front? With 2.5 lift you can clear 33's no problem with sway on and some tapping on the fender lip. If your going to take the sway off you need to cut the fender and or and possibly both put a 1 inch Zero rate on the front and move the axle forward and inch. Get 4 inch rear blocks if those 2.5 fronts are Rancho's. My 2.5 inch ranchos are right at 4 inches. I would recomend you get up to a 4.10 gear since you have a 700R4.

6. bear

bear Registered Member

Sorry guys, I'm pretty new at this and I guess I was unclear. I'm not replacing the whole rear end, just the axle shaft because the old one has a deep groove in it. ANy suggestions or advice on where to get a replacement axle shaft?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can't run a repair bearing instead of replacing the axle?

8. bear

bear Registered Member

I've never heard of that as an option.....would it be a cheap/easy/durable repair?

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All it does is move the bearing closer to the wheel, changing where the bearing rides on the axle to a "fresh" unworn area.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heck look in the ForSale section. You can probably pick up a whole 10 bolt for what a new shaft would cost.