Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP: Bad battery = nope, starter? how do I tell?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve88, Mar 21, 2000.

1. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

OK. So lately it's been taking longer for it to start. Turns over a little more each time, but finally kicks in. Classic battery going out (or so I thought). I don't know for sure, but the sticker on the top had 1998 peeled off. This is AZ and I'd only expect a battery to last 2 years out here. Previous owner put this one in so I don't know when really. SO... I Bought a 1000amp batt at Autozone and just finished putting it in.

NO GOOD.

Still turns over real slowly like the battery is dying. Then only a couple of times and then finally stopped turning over all together. Checked the cables and they seem fine. tried jumping it with the wifes car and still same result (so I don't think I got a bad new battery).

Is it my starter? How do I tell if the starter is gone?

If so how much should I expect to pay for a new one? Used? I want a GM one from all the replies I've read about starters.

Hey AZBLAZER, you wouldn't have a fresh GM starter lying around would ya?

HELP?!?!

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

2. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Yeah this sounds like the starter is drawing too many amps.. This just happened to my car this January .. Pissed the hell outta me!!

Zack Carlson
    I paid $50 some bucks for a autozone starter

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear! GOT HER STARTED MARCH 20TH!!!!

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

To check to see if a battery is still any good. take the positive and attach it to the negative. OrIf any of the cells bubble you have a bad cell. Another way to test (safer) it to hook up a volt meter. start your vehicle and let it run for few minutes. Look at the meter and see if it is around 13.8 volts. That means your alternator is working fine. After you shut it off look at the voltage. then look at it again in about 20 minutes. If it keeps dropping you have a bad battery. As for the starting thing. Could be two things. Starter is old andworn out. you short out acorss the solenoid to see if it is the starter. If it turns slow its the starter. you might also check the flywheel for chipped teeth or flat spots. Also check to see if your starter is shimmed correctly. I had these problems it was the battery and starter and starter solenoid

4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sure sounds like the starter. However, you might want to check the positive battery cable. Corrosion might be the culprit. If your rig has headers it's probably the starter. The constaint heat from the headers can destroy a starter is short order.

5. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Dumb question, but does a new solinoid come with a new starter?

Finally got a price from carparts.com:
    $22 core
    $53.97 starter for heavy-duty battery (I bought a 1000 amp batt)
    free shipping but it takes 3 - 7 days

That's all before the coupon...sound right?

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Ahhh bad starter. I just put a new one in about a week ago. It was a snap and cost only $30 at AutoZone. Yes a new solenoid comes with it. It's a snap to change. It only took me 30 minutes from start to finish. Good luck.

Alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy a starter from AutoZone or Pepboys and expect it to last. Sure, you'll get a good start or two, but they SUCK, and will eventually start giving you problems. Order an AC Delco starter and dont worry about a single thing. Trust me on this, I went through many Pep Boy's starters with no success. Slapped in the first AC Delco and havent had a problem for over a year and a half now.

8. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Thats why Pep / Zone
    refurbished have life time replacement...
    and it doesnt require master ability to
    replace. i did mine on my lunch break
    a while back...

9. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Waxer, Delco is the only option from all those previous posts on exactly what you're talking about. I'll be calling around today for prices...

Another question though is: The new battery I bought ($70) is 800 cold cranking and 1000 "regular" amps. What's the implications of a starter for a "heavy duty" battery (guy at car-parts.com said I needed that model for the new batt I bought), or just going with a starter for a "standard" battery? Later in the battery life is it more adventagous to have the regular starter?

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The best option with the starter is to take your original to a local starter / alternator shop, and have it tested and then rebuilt. There are two versions of Chevy starters, a low torque version and a high torque version. You want the high torque version. This really doesn't have anything to do with the battery. If you currently have a low torque starter, the shop can convert to high torque for minimal cost.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The reason why Pep/Autozone has lifetime replacement on their refurbished starters is because they are pieces of sh*t. Thats the only way they can get unknowingly people like **b** to buy them. He'll learn in the end though.
    I picked up the AC Delco starter for $55 with a $20 core. Yes a lot more than PepGirls, but this starter actually works....

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    take the positive and attach it to the negative.

Please explain this, I want to call you something...............but I'll wait and see
    hopefully you made a mistake. !

13. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Dont get your panties in a bunch there WaxMan...
    I know the only thing pepboys/zone is good for is air fresheners that and "NOFEAR" stickers

When i bought my truck it had the Autozone Starter
    in it with lifetime replacement...
    and i just took fair advantage of it plain and simple
    My Eyes Are Open!

14. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

'Keep in mind. Just because it is a new starter doesnt mean it will work or give you problems. I went through three of them at G.I. Joes until one worked.

15. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Well I have no intentions of connecting my positive cable to my negative cable!....besides I *already* bought the damn new battery last night thinking surely that would fix my problem. It was only after that when it still barely cranked over and then stopped that I posted this post. Rapped the starter a few times with a hammer and it kicked over a couple more times. (Used to work on a friends vette)

Anyway - so the best I've found so far is a shop in Mesa, Az where for $86 (or less) they will completely rebuild my existing starter into a high-torque one (if it's not already). (Or less if some of my existing stuff is still in perfect shape, otherwise worst case is $86). The guy recommended I have mine rebuilt instead of taking one off the shelf (for the same price) because the case will fit back on perfectly and he only uses all brand new parts. Place was recommended by Apache muffler for the zonies...

Can't find a brand new Delco in any store. They are all refurbished. Even the local Chevy dealer wants $105 (and even THAT is refurb'ed). That local starter shop says a lot of those refurb'd units (even Delco's) don't have quality parts or might not be fully rebuilt with all new parts.

<font color=red>Where did you guys get new ones? (Like brand new?)</font color=red>

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

16. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You are on the right track with the rebuild. That price sounds high though. I got one of mine rebuilt and converted to high torque for about $40. Shop around if you can find another shop, but otherwise that is the best deal for your money. For that price, they should do good work and stand behind it.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Not to piss anybody off, but I'm in the 3rd year of my O'reily's Starter. Thing has given me no troubles (knock on wood). My old Chevelle would spit starters left and right, even delco's. A heat shield did wonders for that thing. I've got another shield on my Blazer now, even though I'm not running headers. A starter is alot like the tranny, the cooler you keep it the better.

Sounds Like a starter Steve, congrats on finding a rebuild shop that you trust. $86 is high, but if it gets the thing running it's worth it. You can also gripe at the guy that rebuilt it cause you've seen him face to face, he's not some dude working for 10 pesos a day slapping peices in a case and calling it rebuilt at a generic shop in Mexico.[​IMG]
    Hope you get that thing back up and running.

Kyle
    89K5

18. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Does sound high, but it's basically my case with all new interior. Also I trust the shop that recommended this guy/shop and to me, and that counts for a lot. Unless someone else can recommend another shop close enough to me that's cheaper and trustworthly, I'm going to bring him my starter tomorrow morning. For $86 that aint bad and better than any Delco in any store around here anyway.

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

19. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'd say go for it. For pete's sake man, it's for the Blazer. If I could find a shop that I could trust I'd take my stuff to them, until then not much I can do. I think it's worth it. Grab a heat shield though, doesn't hurt to add a little protection while you're down there.

Kyle
    89K5

20. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

When I looked under her last night, I think I remember seeing a heat sheild already on it. And I don't even have headers. Must have been a previous-owner thing, or by the looks of the starter the heat-sheild came with the truck...

Yup, I feel good about this place. I'll post an update on the work when I get it back and running. Great for Zonies knowledge anyway, and what the heck if the place is that good you all might want to keep it for reference if they ship (?)

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com