Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, bad sound from transfer case (?)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mastiff, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just noticed this. When I'm in 4-Low and I go from reverse to park, it makes a terrible sound. It's like a high pitched sound of gear teeth rubbing against each other. It's just for a fraction of a second and then it stops (catches)? It sounds like this: Bzzzt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It doesn't do it from 4-High, only Low. And another wierd thing is that it seems to take two cycles to do it: I hold my foot on the brake and go P-R-P-R-P, then the noise. Like the first time from R to P doesn't make the noise.

I have no idea if it's in the T-case, or maybe the front axle. I've got the stock front 10-bolt with an Auburn. Everything seems to be working right, it's just a nasty little noise! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for any ideas!

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you should really stop moving before throwing it into park...or maybe pull it out of 4lo before putting it in park..does it sound like this :
    [ QUOTE ]
    DumbassDumbassDumbass.Dumbass..Dumbass...Dumbass....Dumbass.....clunk"

[/ QUOTE ] -Twiz
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Mastiff

I'm not sure if you're giving me hell or if you're serious. This is sitting still the whole time, foot on the brake.

4. Confedneck

a little of both, and bringing up an old post lol..i dont see why youd put it in park with it in lo range though, i dont think you're supposed too..im not sure that the parking pawl could handle the torque multiplication

5. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    a little of both, and bringing up an old post lol..i dont see why youd put it in park with it in lo range though, i dont think you're supposed too..im not sure that the parking pawl could handle the torque multiplication

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of this before. I've always put it in park before if I'm out romping around in 4-Low and want to stop for a sec.

I don't think I fully understand what happens when you shift into park. I always figured it was the same as neutral except that something engaged to prevent the output from turning. Is there something more to it?

6. Confedneck

now you're asking one of the non tranny expert guys lol...hopefully someone else can shed some light on the whole parking gear setup...but if its just now starting to make the noise...there's probably something wrong or starting to go wrong...

7. Mastiff

Nobody has any idea what this might be? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i know there is a sprag, with a spring, that falls into place when in park, but when the output or internals are spinning then the sprag does not engage and buzzes under the spring's pressure when trying to fall into place.