Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Balancing 35"s ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Oct 21, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Help Balancing 35\"s ?

I take my truck to my buddys shop and use the machines to dismount and mount my new 35" BFG muds....
    I spent like an hour on the spin balancing machine trying to get the thing to come out to zero on both sides and it seems impossible....
    I've balanced tires before but they are small tires that are easy to balance. These 35's don't seem to want to balance... (What a shock huh?) No matter what i did we couldn't get it right... I'd add the weights, then it would ask for like 1.25oz on one side and .50 oz on the other side.. on top of the 4.25 & 1.25 oz that i already pounded on the rim. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    I tried dismounting the tire and moving it 180* from where it was on the rim and try balancing it again... I even tried lining up the arrow on the tire with where the valve stem is on the rim.

Maybe its the machine????? We tried it with and without a few spacers and such.

So now i'm driving with no weights to balance the tires... and its really not all that bad... or maybe they were just never in balance to begin with. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    Maybe i'll go pay and have them balanced at the 4X4 shop... and tell them "since i'm paying to have them balanced, i want to watch the guy balance them and see the machine come out to zero on both sides." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Anyone had any luck spin balancing their own 35"+ tires?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Help Balancing 35\"s ?

Yeah, on my head once. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Use BB's...they'll do the same job as Equal without being sensitive to moisture in the tire.

Anything over a 33 is really tough to balance. My 36's I had to pay by the hour to have em balanced and it took their best guy quite a while. Even so I have a bad speed where they shake...

rene

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you really want to get your tires to balance right try to find a shop with a Hunter Engineering GSP9700 Tire Balancer. We have one here at work and let me tell you this thing works awesome. I balanced my 35's on it and ran it down the freeway and it didnt vibrate at all. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

i would try to find someone in your area that does a lot of big tires, like an off road shop. i take mine to an older guy that has a tiny shop but he's the best in town. ask around. i run 38.5" gumbos and they are pretty smooth actually. but it does run me $100 for mount and balance.

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i had mine ballenced and mounted good and the first time out wheeling i had a couple fall out.now after 1 1`/2 years i barely have any weights left on the tires.i dont think the lead weights are not worth using on off road tires.

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

GET THIS!!! 4wheelparts said they couldn't balance my 39.5's because they were too big for the machine!!
    They recommended Discount Tire to do the job. Why would discount tire have a machine that could balance a bigger tire than a 4x4 shop that sells and deals with oversized tires on a daily basis? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

cuss discount tire can order any tire ya want and mount and balance em. their an awesome place. i don't know why 4wheelparts does that. i guess they suck. lol. later.

jacob

9. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I use a bubble balancer. Works great.

John

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey Ryan got a American Tire Co. around your area? There is one in Freakmont,and one in Union City. They can balance up to a 39.5 tire.

11. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Here's a link that might help. They talk about an internal tire patch weight. Interco tire Got some more links if your intrested.