Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help big hub d44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cuzinjay, Mar 4, 2004.

1. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

I got a d44 in a truck out back and it has a d44 with big hubs? They are out of an old 3/4 no ideal of the year the body had been swaped by someone. I looked today and could find no #'s They should be on drivers axle tube correct?
    I want to swap this in my current truck any pro's or con's to this style axle? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Can I use every thing from the knukles out from my curent axles and is it worth changing out?

The rear is a 14bolt and it is getting swaped in as well.I"m planning to swap backing plate out see any problems?

Thanx for looking and hopeful some advise. The d44 I have now is blown and both the d44 & 14b have holes in the punkins!! Some guys just have all the luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Most likly it is from a 72 or older 3/4ton pickup. I have heard you can swap out the external type(big hub) to the internal type(samller one). Never done it my self. I think if you buy a set of Warn Prem. internal hubs then gut out your external style and stuff it with the Warns and your done. Again I have never done it so I am guessing. I read in Petersons once that they seam to think the internal is stronger than the external...again the mags opinion.
    All D44s can be swich swaped from the knuckle out.
    Good Luck

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

1976-down 3/4 tons had the big hubbed 8-lug D44's. Check the axleshaft u-joints....if you have the 297x size, your axle is a '73-'76. If you have the 260x size, you've got a '71-'72 D44. 1970 and older D44's had drum brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

The external style hubs (big ones) were not known for there strength because of the caps. they were poorly designed and often broke. it is rare to find a set on an axle that both caps are good.

the warn premium aftermarket ones blow. they are aluminum and always loosed up on the wheel bearing hub.

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Just swap hub,rotor and spidle from your old/broke 44. Hub and rotor as in" are held together by the lug studs", and you old locking hubs.

6. cuzinjay

cuzinjay Registered Member

Thanx for the info.Will the braket for the caliper be the same if I swap the spindle/hub/rotor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif